Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I've had Ubuntu (12.04) installed for a couple weeks and have had nothing but problems. I'm || this close to going back to Windows. Here's the latest issue. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Problem booting after updates

Well, I've had Ubuntu (12.04) installed for a couple weeks and have had nothing but problems. I'm || this close to going back to Windows.

Here's the latest issue. I ran the updater and let it install all 260+ updates. It asked me to reboot, which I did. This is when the problems began. Before installing the updates, when I rebooted, Linux would just....start. Now, as soon as the BIOS screen pops up, I have to get into the boot menu (F 8 ) and chose the correct drive (if I don't, all I get is a blank, reddish screen). After that, I get a screen that gives me 5 options ("Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-36-generic", the same adding "recovery mode", "Previous Linux Versions", "Memory Test (memtest 86+)" and the same adding "(, serial console 115200)"). If I choose the first one, I don't get anything. I have to choose "Previous Linux Versions". After that, it'll boot as normal. Also, since the updates, I can't get the taskbar in both monitors as I used to. (I double checked the settings. They're the same/fine.)

Before I give up, does anyone have any suggestions? Do I save what I can (bookmarks, emails, passwords, links, etc), reformat my SSD and try again? I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. Windows had its issues but I never had the problems I'm having with this. Part of it is a learning curve (which I'll get over in time) but this??? I'd pull my hair out but I lost that years ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SammyO; 03-03-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Just Joined!
    Maybe another distro is in your future, after all Ubuntu is not the only linux out there and there could be improvements in other versions.
    Ubuntu 12.04 for me was a miserable experience, filled with bugs unfitting of an LTS.
    At this stage I would do one of three things:
    1: try another linux distro such as openSUSE which personally I find more stable.
    2: try another version of Ubuntu, 13.10 for me is actually better with far less bugs and more stability then 12.04 and its ease of upgrading to the next LTS is a major bonus.
    3: wait a few months taking a break This option too is a good idea as its around this time most of the distros have their new versions and you can weigh the one that best suits you.

Just Joined!
    There may very well be another distro in my future but not if I can't figure out what's wrong with this one first. I don't plan on jumping from one to another to another just to avoid the bugs.

I don't like change so, if I "take a break" (meaning I'd go back to Windows), I won't return. It took me 6 months to finally decide to ditch Windows for Linux in the first place.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    A couple of things to start with.
    Open a terminal and try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    If Ubuntu says something went wrong with the last upgrade it will likely give you instructions such as:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg –configure -a
    sudo apt-get upgrade –fix-broken
    If after you try that you still have a boot problem you could try boot repair.
    How to Repair GRUB2 When Ubuntu Won?t Boot

Just Joined!
    I can't tell what the problems are but here's what I just got:

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/main/binary-i386/ Release.gpg
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/ Release.gpg
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/main/binary-i386/ Release
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/ Release
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/main/binary-i386/ Packages/DiffIndex
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/ Packages/DiffIndex
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/main/binary-i386/ Translation-en_US
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/main/binary-i386/ Translation-en
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/ Translation-en_US
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/ Translation-en
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) precise/main TranslationIndex
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) precise/restricted TranslationIndex
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) precise/main Translation-en_US
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) precise/main Translation-en
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) precise/restricted Translation-en_US
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1) precise/restricted Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise Release.gpg
    Hit Index of / precise-updates Release.gpg
    Hit Index of / precise Release
    Hit Index of / precise Release.gpg
    Hit Index of / precise-updates Release
    Get:1 Index of / precise Release.gpg [72 B]
    Hit Index of / precise/main Sources
    Hit Index of / precise/restricted Sources
    Hit Index of / precise/universe Sources
    Hit Index of / precise/multiverse Sources
    Hit Index of / precise/main amd64 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/restricted amd64 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/universe amd64 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/multiverse amd64 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/main i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/restricted i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/universe i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/multiverse i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise/main TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise/multiverse TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise/restricted TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise/universe TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/restricted amd64 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security Release.gpg
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/main amd64 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/multiverse amd64 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/universe amd64 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security Release
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/restricted i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/main i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/universe i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/main TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/multiverse TranslationIndex
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/restricted amd64 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/main amd64 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/multiverse amd64 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/universe amd64 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/restricted i386 Packages
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/restricted TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/universe TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise/main Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise/multiverse Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise/restricted Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise/universe Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/main Translation-en
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/main i386 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/multiverse i386 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/universe i386 Packages
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/main TranslationIndex
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/multiverse TranslationIndex
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/restricted TranslationIndex
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/universe TranslationIndex
    Ign Index of / precise/main TranslationIndex
    Ign Index of / precise/main TranslationIndex
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/multiverse Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/restricted Translation-en
    Hit Index of / precise-updates/universe Translation-en
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/main Translation-en
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/multiverse Translation-en
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/restricted Translation-en
    Hit Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu precise-security/universe Translation-en
    Ign Index of / precise/main Translation-en_US
    Ign Index of / precise/main Translation-en_US
    Ign Index of / precise/main Translation-en
    Ign Index of / precise/main Translation-en
    Fetched 72 B in 1s (38 B/s)
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1)/ precise/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%2012.04.3%20LTS%20%5fPrecise%20Pangolin%5f% 20-%20Release%20amd64%20(20130820.1)_dists_precise_ma in_binary-i386_Packages)
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release amd64 (20130820.1)/ precise/restricted i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%2012.04.3%20LTS%20%5fPrecise%20Pangolin%5f% 20-%20Release%20amd64%20(20130820.1)_dists_precise_re stricted_binary-i386_Packages)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I typed "sudo apt-get update" again and got the exact same thing (as far as I can tell).

apt-get update checks for the current version number of installed packages and updates its information, it does NOT install anything. apt-get upgrade checks versions and says what upgrade are available and prompt you if you would like to install them. That is why the two commands are always used together, update the versions data, then upgrade the files.

apt-get command is very powerful and has many variations and options it is a good one to become familiar with.

Linux Guru
    There's a couple of ways to fix this. First backup your sources.list.
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
    You can then edit the file and remove duplicates or follow these instructions How can i get rid of the message "Duplicate sources.list entry - Ask Ubuntu
    or you can generate a new one with Ubuntu Sources List Generator

Just Joined!
    Didn't know about or do the upgrade last time. I just did it and this is what I got:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    libpython2.7 python2.7 python2.7-minimal
    3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 5,606 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 4,096 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get:1 Index of /ubuntu precise-security/main libpython2.7 amd64 2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5 [1,188 kB]
    Get:2 Index of /ubuntu precise-security/main python2.7 amd64 2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5 [2,675 kB]
    Get:3 Index of /ubuntu precise-security/main python2.7-minimal amd64 2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5 [1,743 kB]
    Fetched 5,606 kB in 7s (719 kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 195004 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libpython2.7 2.7.3-0ubuntu3.4 (using .../libpython2.7_2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libpython2.7 ...
    Preparing to replace python2.7 2.7.3-0ubuntu3.4 (using .../python2.7_2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement python2.7 ...
    Preparing to replace python2.7-minimal 2.7.3-0ubuntu3.4 (using .../python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement python2.7-minimal ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Setting up python2.7-minimal (2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5) ...
    Setting up python2.7 (2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5) ...
    Setting up libpython2.7 (2.7.3-0ubuntu3.5) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Still not sure what all that means but I did it anyway.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    There's a couple of ways to fix this. First backup your sources.list.
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
    You can then edit the file and remove duplicates or follow these instructions How can i get rid of the message "Duplicate sources.list entry - Ask Ubuntu
    or you can generate a new one with Ubuntu Sources List Generator
    Not sure what that means but I typed it in the terminal. Nothing seemed to happen, though. I'll look at the links you gave me. Does it hurt anything to have the duplicates?

Linux Guru
    The command just backed up your sources.list so that it can be recovered if something gets really screwed up.

It's just a warning so you can probably leave it but it's not a bad idea to fix warnings anyway.