Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just reading the OP's first message he said the partition shrink failed, but if I remember right Window is going to do a defrag first so it can move all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just reading the OP's first message he said the partition shrink failed, but if I remember right Window is going to do a defrag first so it can move all the files to the begining of the partition. Defrag on windows is very slow so I wonder if he broke out of the defrag and some key files are in an unknown state because windows moves pieces all over during defrag???

Then when booting he gets a Blue Screen immediately he's never getting out of the DOS portion of the boot (XP boots into DOS for low level drivers, then boots Windows. It was there way to simplify Win95 loading process.) I would bet some of the system DLL's were hosed.

Being XP there were rescue disks like the old Winternal disk that would boot a minimal Window to fix files and change passwords and etc. Offically they are all gone now, but probably copies floating around the internet if someone was to look.

Just Joined!
    I shrunk the partition through my Xubuntu live USB's install alongside option. Around 30 minutes in (I'm not sure exactly when. After 5 minutes I busied myself with other things), it failed with an error.

While poking around with the ultimate boot cd that rokytnji posted, I attempted to backup the partition to an external hard drive with TestDisk. It failed with an error, stating that the filesystem seems damaged.

Thanks again for all the help, advice, and ideas, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Different55 View Post
    I shrunk the partition through my Xubuntu live USB's install alongside option. Around 30 minutes in (I'm not sure exactly when. After 5 minutes I busied myself with other things), it failed with an error.

While poking around with the ultimate boot cd that rokytnji posted, I attempted to backup the partition to an external hard drive with TestDisk. It failed with an error, stating that the filesystem seems damaged.

Thanks again for all the help, advice, and ideas, everybody.
    I'd say at this point I would get a bootable Windows disk and try and run a chkdsk to see if window can repair the disk. I hate to mention commerical software, but if this is critical data you might want to consider Steve Gibson's Spinrite I know peope in the past its helped.

https://www.grc.com/default.htm

Just Joined!

Save your XP files first and foremost

Since you have a Backup Hard drive it should be possible to enter the XP side of your computer via Linux, be it "Live Media" or your "Installed Distro" and copy and paste your important files and folders to your backup hard-drive. If you can't fix the XP Partition at least you'll still have those files.
    If your XP Partition shows when you open your comjputer, Open (Mount) that partition then browse thru it for anything you may wish to save. Some items may be un-readable or be un-openable from Linux but that shouldn't keep you from being able to Copy and Paste them to your B/U hard-drive. I've always found it easier to save entire files and folders rather than individual pictures, music, and documents.
    It beats trashing you Window$ Data entirely when You start trying to recover the entire partition. You can alweays delete the DATA if you recover XP.
    I've been pranking my Windobot friends for years by entering and making annoying little changes to their computers without leaving a trace. Things like hiding their Pictures or Music files/folders in a Sub-folder inside of their 'My Videos" folder or changing their background photo.
    Last edited by premonition010; 03-04-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Correct spelling/typo

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by premonition010 View Post
    Since you have a Backup Hard drive it should be possible to enter the XP side of your computer via Linux, be it "Live Media" or your "Installed Distro" and copy and paste your important files and folders to your backup hard-drive. If you can't fix the XP Partition at least you'll still have those files.
    If your XP Partition shows when you open your comjputer, Open (Mount) that partition then browse thru it for anything you may wish to save. Some items may be un-readable or be un-openable from Linux but that shouldn't keep you from being able to Copy and Paste them to your B/U hard-drive. I've always found it easier to save entire files and folders rather than individual pictures, music, and documents.
    It beats trashing you Window$ Data entirely when You start trying to recover the entire partition. You can alweays delete the DATA if you recover XP.
    While the Windows partition shows up, I am unable to mount it. Attempting to mount it from the Xubuntu live usb or the UBCD live usb produces errors that can be found in posts above. If I could mount it, I would have already copied all of my files somewhere else over FTP since I don't have a backup hard drive. TestDisk suggests that the reason I am unable to mount it is because the filesystem is corrupted. Currently, I'm trying to save my XP files by using PhotoRec, but I need to get an external hard drive to save any recovered files to. After that works or I've given up, I plan on attempting the next suggestion in line, which is docbop's bootable windows disk idea.

To mount a windows ntfs partition under linux it needs some files installed: ntfs-3g
    to get it type:
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

There is a way to fix XP with an un-intrusive re-installation. It keeps your documents and settings and re-installs just the operating system. If you still have your XP installation disc, otherwise get somebody else's and use your key (found somewhere on the computer). You may need to re-install drivers as well?!
    see: Repair Windows XP by Performing a Repair Install (Part 1 of 2)
    or: How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

you may loose your linux boot loader
    in that case re-install linux and choose to install boot-loader (grub) into the mbr on /dev/sda

Just Joined!
    I figured it out finally. I was trying to make a BartPE USB out of the intact partition labeled RECOVERY for a few days, failed every one of those times, then found out I could make a recovery disc out of my dad's win7 laptop, did so, ran chkdsk, and the problems I've had for about a week disappeared within the hour with nothing to show it had ever happened but a handful of USB drives with various distros and broken BartPEs on them.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. After fixing it I realize that it wasn't all that linux-related at all, so sorry about that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2