Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When attempting to install Xunbuntu from a USB flash drive, my Windows XP partition stopped working. I chose to shrink the windows about 2-3 GB, but after a long time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't mount/boot from Windows XP partition

When attempting to install Xunbuntu from a USB flash drive, my Windows XP partition stopped working. I chose to shrink the windows about 2-3 GB, but after a long time (less than an hour) it failed with an error and then this happened. Under Xubuntu, it won't mount, and when trying to boot it normally, it will ask whether I want to boot in safe mode or normally. Whichever I choose, it will flash a blue screen of death for a fraction of a second and restart before I can see it. The partition is still there and I can see its size, but I can't see how much is used and I can't mount it or boot off of it or anything. I've got no idea where to go from here and I really REALLY don't want to lose the data on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

When attempting to install Xunbuntu from a USB flash drive, my Windows XP partition stopped working. I chose to shrink the windows about 2-3 GB, but after a long time (less than an hour) it failed with an error and then this happened
    That was your 1st Mistake. I have made the same mistake myself. You should have used Windows XP Disk Management tool to shrink Windows >(after multiple defrags and partition compression) . Then schedule a Windows XP

Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes on your hard disk drive for problems. The tool then tries to repair any problems that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. To use Chkdsk, you must log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

You can also run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer.
    on next reboot to make sure everything is booting up and working fine in XP. Then move on to a Linux install with/using the unallocated space left when you ran the Windows Disk Management Tool.

To recover your data. Because I don't hold much hope now of you fixing Windows XP boot process because I have ran into what you describe and followed the same steps because I did not know how either.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer

Your pendrive should be able to handle that. I am not sure about

Under Xubuntu, it won't mount, and when trying to boot it normally, it will ask whether I want to boot in safe mode or normally. Whichever I choose, it will flash a blue screen of death for a fraction of a second and restart before I can see it. The partition is still there and I can see its size, but I can't see how much is used and I can't mount it or boot off of it or anything. I've got no idea where to go from here and I really REALLY don't want to lose the data on it.
    Because that is confusing to me. You included A windows boot screen with a Xubuntu won't mount. The link I gave you is old (Because XP is old) but covers mounting.
    Good Luck and Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

If I've already got a Live USB Disk with Xubuntu (The one I used to cause this mess), can I use that to follow the instructions in the article you listed?

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    That was your 1st Mistake. I have made the same mistake myself. You should have used Windows XP Disk Management tool to shrink Windows >(after multiple defrags and partition compression) . Then schedule a Windows XP
    My experience with Windows XP is that using Linux to shrink the OS partition is the best option. Unlike Windows Vista, 7, etc, Windows XP disk management can't resize the OS partition itself. So far, I have had 100% success with resizing a Windows XP OS partition with Debian or Ubuntu installers, and 0% success trying to resize Windows Vista/7 OS partitions with Debian or Ubuntu installers. So, my procedure is:

1) If it's Windows XP, I use the Debian (or Ubuntu) installer to resize the partition. Usually, I will first defrag the OS partition from within Windows. But this takes a long time, so I often skip this step.

or

2) If it's Windows Vista or 7, I use Windows Disk management to resize the OS partition. Then, I'll use the Debian (or Ubuntu) installer to create the Linux partitions in the empty space.

As for how to recover from this situation...I'm not sure. In the many cases when I ran into a problem trying to resize the Windows partition, Windows would always still be in a bootable state.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    When running "mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/disk -o force" as root I get the following error message:
    Code:
    Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
    highest_vcn = 0x18651, last_vcn - 1 = 0x19fe3
    Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.
    When going through the file manager and clicking on Local Disk, I get this:

Code:
    Error mounting /dev/sda1 at /media/xubuntu/Local Disk: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda1" "/media/xubuntu/Local Disk"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
    highest_vcn = 0x18651, last_vcn - 1 = 0x19fe3
    Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.
    I've been told by helpful IRC people to try and use the Recovery Console to restore the MBR, but as my machine came with Windows pre-installed with no installation disc, I've been having a hard time doing that. Everywhere I look either has the Recovery Console ISO removed or inaccessible for whatever reason.

Just Joined!
    Would this possibly work in my situation or could it make things worse?

htt p://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622828

My experience with Windows XP
    Okey Dokey. I have not ran XP in ages so I might trip up on what Disk Management in XP is capable of. All I know is I have ran into the same thing the OP is having problems with.

Bootdisk.Com - Free Windows Bootdisks, Free DOS boot disk

NTFS is either inconsistent, In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice.
    Now you see why I said
    Then schedule a Windows XP
    blah, blah, blah, on next reboot to make sure everything is booting up and working fine in XP.
    Windows can be A PITA sometimes even for the best of us.

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by Different55 View Post
    Would this possibly work in my situation or could it make things worse?

htt p://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622828
    It may make things worse as that thread is from 2007. The correct link now is https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Now you see why I said

Then schedule a Windows XP
    blah, blah, blah, on next reboot to make sure everything is booting up and working fine in XP.
    Windows can be A PITA sometimes even for the best of us.

I understood why you said it, but I didn't understand how I was supposed to do it. Thanks for the link, I'm giving that a shot now.

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

and

Super Grub Disk

are 2 other free download cds that might be able to fix Windows MBR also from a Recovery Console.

Edit: if no joy. Maybe

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

may also work out, or not.

Download link for 15.2
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast