Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By docbop
Hi I'm Jackson, 25, been around PCs since I was a child, and I created this account to try and see if I could muster up any useful ideas and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Worried about my security, using ubuntu. Need some direction.

Hi I'm Jackson, 25, been around PCs since I was a child, and I created this account to try and see if I could muster up any useful ideas and tips.

I have familiarized myself lately with a lot of things, most notably bootable media. However, I am still learning(addictively) a lot of things. I am familiar with Tor, Tails, just started learning about bridges, ect. However, my goal is not to hide myself or protect my own identity, I want to track down someone that is potentially doing it to me.

For starters, I will explain. This is very personal to me.

My mother is married to a man(we'll say Mark), and his ex wife died in childbirth and gave birth to my step-sister, Sydney. They were from Arkansas, we are from Atlanta. The deceased mother's family are the wealthiest around, and Sydney's inheritance is around 20 million, I believe. Anyway, they basically went through a custody battle against millionaires as a normal family, and things got bitter, especially since the case involved distances of Arkansas and Atlanta for court appearances. I caught them spying on us one night. They had convinced some PI's to come out to our home and place a tracking device on my step dad Mark's ride. I caught him in this process. They ultimately won their case over this incident, and custody was granted to our family.

They are dirty, and are at it again. They are starting up another civil case, and are trying to dig up all kinds of dirt on all of us.

Right now, I have an active facebook account that I've been locked out of for about a year. I have complained to FB about this dozens of times to no avail. The account is being used by someone. I'd like to track that person down, firstly.

For seconds, I would like to know how I can tell if someone besides myself is somehow hacking into my computer, because I've noticed lately how EASILY it can be done to retrieve all KINDS of sensitive data.

What I'm asking for is not that at all. I want to know what I should do to make sure nobody is doing it to me. I am VERY INTERESTED in my security and the security of my family as well, because to be honest, I'm a 25 year old guy that's single, travels a lot, and I have a lot of fun, and some of this **** would go down in court as somewhat "irresponsible" at times. I want to ensure that nobody is remotely spying on my computer!!!

Where should I start?! Thank you!!! I wanna catch these assholes illegally spying on my family THE SECOND TIME.

As we used to say... The only secure computer is one that is turned off, power cord removed, locked in a safe that is then buried ten feet underground, and even then were not completely sure.

To really protect yourself you need skills equal to the people who might be spying on you and that take time to develop. If that paranoid then hire a real secuity expert to work with you to lock down your systems. But remember anything that's already out in the internet isn't going away, so all you can do is limit your expose now keep a low profile limit what you do online and think twince about what doing before you hit enter key.

Good luck.

"Worried about my security, using ubuntu"

In terminal, type in (or cut and paste if you choose)
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get install perl-tk bastille 
    See here for Bastille

May not solve your problem, but it'll make it harder to get in and allows for a legal warning.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Just a thought on making any further online travels you do a lot harder to track, copy or monitor - get a good VPN. Private Internet Access is a commercial product with an easy to install Linux application. They apparently do not keep any logs or monitor any usage, and you can get it at a reasonable cost using bitcoins and anonymous temporary email accounts.

If you are being tracked or monitored then setting up something like this may help. Remember though, that if your internet is already being monitored at home, you may need a trusted friend to set it up from somewhere else, take your computer out of your usual place and set it up off line (or get the friend to set it up), make sure it connects securely from somewhere else, then take it home already setup.

You should also ensure your system is fully encrypted in case someone gets access to your computer when you are not there. installing with LUKS is pretty well documented for many current distros and is easy in Fedora and Mint (you can change things like file system from ext4 which is a journalling system to ext2 which does not include journalling). Ubuntu 13-10 I have found crashes after trying to set up LUKS with anything other than the default settings.

You may also want to have a look at one of the "forensic" spins or distros such as Kali (debian based), even if you install it as a vm (virtual machine) inside another distro.

Keep smiling and keep them guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    "Worried about my security, using ubuntu"

In terminal, type in (or cut and paste if you choose)
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get install perl-tk bastille 
    See here for Bastille

May not solve your problem, but it'll make it harder to get in and allows for a legal warning.
    is bastile still being maintained? The bastille project was created for RedHat derived distros, someone did a port to Debian, but that doesn't appear to be in Debian collection anymore. The bastille website looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. Makes me wonder how current the scripts are.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    is bastile still being maintained? The bastille project was created for RedHat derived distros, someone did a port to Debian, but that doesn't appear to be in Debian collection anymore. The bastille website looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. Makes me wonder how current the scripts are.
    Good point. It appears inubuntu documentation, though. See ht tps://help.ubuntu.com/community/BastilleLinux.

@OP --

If you really want to be secure, why are you using ubunt?

Just saw this and it has some basic info for trying to get off the grid.

This Infographic Shows You How to Delete Yourself from the Internet
    zenwalker likes this.