Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
  • 1 Post By momist
I installed Ubuntu over the top of windows on this laptop as I wanted to be forced to try it a bit rather than in and out of a VM....The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[beginner] First day with Ubuntu / Linux - some issues that I'm having

I installed Ubuntu over the top of windows on this laptop as I wanted to be forced to try it a bit rather than in and out of a VM....The following are some issues that I'm bumping into initially that may have very simple solutions!

In no order:

AHK - Auto Hot key, I only had basic keyboard shortcuts, would be nice to have them or something similar back though. I had things like "ctrl alt c" would open google calender, crtl alt m would be a (greenshot) screenshot, things like that...

Google Drive Desktop - Desktop version of Drive? Is that not an option with Linux?

Google Chrome - I had a bit of trouble as I was sure that this computer was running 64 bit windows. Though apparently i686 is 32 bit, so Iíve downloaded that versionÖ though double clicking on the file doesnít do anything, how do I install the file?

Side launcher - Maybe Iíll warm to It, canít say that Iím that mad on the side launcher though. Maybe itíd be better If I could select where it was / if it worked like the mac launcher? Or maybe just a More windows menu or something would be better for me I dunnoÖ. donít think I like it though

Using Android Phone - My S3 doesnít seem to work with it. When I plug it into the laptop and try selecting it from the devices list I get the error

Unable to mount GT-I90305
    error initialising camera: -60: Could not lock the device

Software installing - a few times Iíve gone to install things and thereís an option from within the browser that sayís ďAvailable on the Software CenterĒ. When I click that button it asks me what I want to use to open that with (would have thought it would be automatic) then when I search I canít see an applications folder and donít really know what Iím looking for.

So I exit that and go to the Ubuntu software installer in the sidebar, open it, find the program, install itÖ. And then the Software Center crashes.

I used the apt-get thing once, that worked nicely...

So that's where I'm at, anything obvious feel free to chip in

Just Joined!
    Hi Chup. Glad you are willing to give Linux a try.

To be honest, I'm not the most skilled person to advise you, but I can have a go at a few of your current walls. I have been using Ubuntu on and off for many years, and when I retired three years ago I left Microsoft behind for good. However, on the way I also left the plain Ubuntu behind as well, I didn't like that side launcher thing at all either!

I'm now running Linux Mint 16 with the Cinnamon desktop. Depending on your hardware being up to it, I would recommend that flavour to any refugee from M$. If the computer is a bit older, then use the MATE version of Linux Mint instead.

Hot keys I've never used, always been a point and click man. Google Drive I also can't help with. Chrome should just work, but I suspect you are having difficulty with the concept of installing any of the free software available. Compared to windows, it all seems different and a bit like magic, but it should "just work".

If the side bar Ubuntu software centre crashes, I suspect you have a hardware problem that the installation has not told you about. On my systems, I have never had such a crash. In theory, you should be able to install from the software centre, wait until it finishes, and then close that application. The menu, or on Ubuntu the finder thingy, should then just launch the thing you have installed. What happens when you type Chrome into the search box?

At you have found, apt-get in the terminal is very clean and powerful, and rarely causes problems, but can sometimes have some unexpected effects. A safer version is the Synaptic Package Manager, if it is part of your installation. If not, I'm sure you should find that in the Ubuntu Software Centre (if you can get it to work!).

Let us know how you get on, and please don't give up at the first hurdle. It will get easier, and the journey is worth it.

Linux Newbie
    Cheers momist - funnily enough I'm using Mint MATE at the moment... I just installed it onto a USB Boot and I have to say that I think I prefer it a fair bit to Ubuntu (I like the menu more than the side dock....)

My phone also opened up using Mint Mate so thats cool....

However I'm a bit 'on the fence' about whether to use Mate or Cinamonn - the difference being Gnome 2 vs 3... Now, this means nothing to me at the moment. I intend to install Mint on my main laptop which is a good system i7 12GB, so It should handle whatever, but I wouldn't want to use something that's in Beta as a main system...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    When I first got into linux.
    My first download would be a pdf user manual of the distro I was using or bookmark the wiki pages.
    Then look for answers.

It made me proficient in using Gnu/Linux and understanding Linux file structure and command syntax and meanings.
    I am not IT. Just a Biker.

FAQforge
    HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Good luck.
    Chup likes this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chup View Post
    Cheers momist - funnily enough I'm using Mint MATE at the moment.
    OK Chup, there's no beta problems with Cinnamon that I have found yet (it's very slick), but I would say stick with MATE for at least a few months while you learn more about Linux in general. It's not good if the desktop environment gets in the way while you are wrestling with a new structure to an operating system and new ways of doing stuff, you are better to keep it as simple as possible at first. The bells and whilstles can come later when you feel more comfortable with the OS. I suspect you will just know, when it's time to move on.

Yes, it sounds like your hardware could cope with anything, even Windows!

Mint has a lot of good functionality built in that you sometimes don't get "out of the box" with other systems. I've not used Ubuntu since they changed to the Unity interface, although by happenstance I tried it a couple of weeks ago just for half a day, prior to moving from Mint MATE , and got so uncomfortable with it that I left immediately back into Mint Cinnamon. I've been using MATE since before Christmas, and had Mint 15 MATE prior to that.

Just a word of warning: When a new version comes out, say Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.04, don't leap straight in. There are always unknowns that get sorted out during the first couple of months, and the last thing a new user needs is a shiny new broken system that takes a bit of understanding and know-how to sort through. Leave that to the experts and try the new distros when they have become a bit more forgiving.

P.S. You can add Cinnamon in at any time by installing the "mint-meta-cinnamon" package from the software installer. DON'T try to load it piecemeal from the components, it doesn't work! (Don't ask!). The log in dialogue (if you have log-in password enabled) will then offer a system wheel in the top right corner allowing you to choose either desktop environment, and sharing the same /home with separate settings for those things that need them. If you are using an auto log-in, you would have to log out to get to the option.
    Last edited by momist; 04-05-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Add log in option.
    Chup likes this.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah I think I'll use Mate for a bit - I wish there was a desktop manager like Ubuntu though... I like being able to have multiple desktops and switch between them on the laptop....

Also when I'm using the external monitor I can't find a way to change the position of it, it always seems to think that the external monitor is on the right, when it's actually on the left (so I have to move my mouse the opposite direction to get to the second screen) And the window management doesn't seem to have a snap like on Ubuntu, and on Windows you can press the Win key and an arrow to snap a window / move it about. Which is very handy

Quote Originally Posted by Chup View Post
    Yeah I think I'll use Mate for a bit - I wish there was a desktop manager like Ubuntu though... I like being able to have multiple desktops and switch between them on the laptop....

Also when I'm using the external monitor I can't find a way to change the position of it, it always seems to think that the external monitor is on the right, when it's actually on the left (so I have to move my mouse the opposite direction to get to the second screen) And the window management doesn't seem to have a snap like on Ubuntu, and on Windows you can press the Win key and an arrow to snap a window / move it about. Which is very handy
    Most the display tools have an orientation option, try installing arandr it will probably show up in your settings manager. It has orientation feature.

Linux Newbie
    cheers doc - it turned out that to change where the OS deemed the monitors positioning to be there's a little 'drag and drop' window where you just mouse around the set out of the screens... Pretty simple

I'm installing over that one now anyway, with 'proper partitioning' ha