Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, Its been a while since I had a linux question. So please forgive my social mis-steps (if any). I have a EEE PC that you fine folks helped ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Grub rescue questions

Hello all,

Its been a while since I had a linux question. So please forgive my social mis-steps (if any).

I have a EEE PC that you fine folks helped me to custom partition the hard drive to put Ubuntu on. Now I only put Ubuntu on it because the windows install was misbehaving. Keyboard issues, viruses, and my general paranoia.

But I just managed to get it up and running again last night. Ran a few virus scans, got it all cleared out (or at least as cleared out as I could get it, its windows after all) and decided that I wanted the other half of my hard drive back. I wiped out the linux partition, turned the other half of the hard drive into drive D. After doing that I shut it down for the day.

I just fired it up and a Grub Rescue prompt came up. I figured I'd have to tell it to boot to windows from now on and everything would be fine. Was not expecting Grub to come up (goes to show how resilient Linux is, not even wiping out the partition its sitting on can completely kill it). What do I have to do to tell grub to point to windows and boot from there?

Linux Newbie
    Part of Grub sits in the MBR, the remainder is in the /boot directory of your linux partition. When you zapped your linux partition you removed the rest of Grub. If you have a Windows rescue disk you can redo the MBR so Grub is gone for good and just Windows remains. Or you can reinstall linux and it will again provide the remainder of Grub including access to Windows. There may be a way to start Windows directly from the Grub rescue prompt but I'm not familiar with that...

fair enough, I would have restored it to factory default, but there are some programs I don't want to loose on this thing.

And this is a netbook, I don't have a CD drive on it anywhere. The biggest drawback to it, lack of a CD drive.

When I fire it up, it comes up with:
    'error: unknown filesystem
    grub rescue>' with the blinking cursor here.

ls comes up with (hd0) (hd0,5) (hd0,1). Its been a little while since I used linux command prompt, so I'm not sure how to navigate into these drives to figure out which one is which.

Is it possible to get to the MBR and change it, from this screen? or am I really left with the only option being re-installing linux to get at it?

Linux Newbie
    I did some Googling and it looks like you have 1 simple option:

Reinstall linux and Grub will be restored so you can get to your windows installation. Once inside Windows, fix the MBR before you delete the linux installation.

You didn't mention which version of Windows, but if it's Win 7 I highly suggest you create a rescue disk as it will contain the tools to fix issues like this. Sadly, Windows will only write this to a CD (which you can use to move to a bootable USB) so you'll need access to a USB CD drive. There are two USB sticks I consider invaluable in my collection: PartedMagic and the Win 7 rescue - both have been used more times than I can count. I originally made the USB version of the Win 7 rescue disk when my daughter's netbook had some issues and hers didn't have a CD drive either.

This is the procedure I followed on a computer with a CD/DVD drive to make the USB stick. Be aware that you need to make the recovery disk with the same version (either 32 bit or 64 bit) of Windows you will use it on.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...tion-dvd-disc/
    Last edited by NGIB; 07-09-2014 at 10:43 AM.

I guess you could use this on usb via unetbootin.

Download Iso link is here

You will want the
    boot-repair-disk-32bit.iso 2013-05-07 520.0 MB
    32bit version for a eeepc.

http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/img/1357348203.png

Ubuntu linky
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    You always find good stuff, need to make 2 of these (32 & 64 bit) for myself as well.

I posted my solution assuming he already had linux on a flash drive and may not have another computer to download anything new...

Belive it or not, I formated the flash drive I used to install linux a while ago. I did the linux install 2 or 3 years ago. Thanks for reminding me of the program I use to create bootable flash drives. I forgot the name of unetbootin.

And thanks for the links, im using xp home. This is an old machine. Still runs though!

@ Both of You. Supergrubdisk can accomplish the same task as the other I posted.
    I know from personal experience myself. The GUI on Supergrub can be confusing for a novice user though.

Hence why I posted the other. I keep a older supergrub cd laying around just because it does work. It has not made the pellet gun range yet.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    I've had a couple of SuperGrub CDs laying around for a number of years. When all my computers had CD drives, it was the only tool I needed to fix bot issues. I've switched all of my tools to USB stick over the past year or so...