Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've tried restarting my Ubuntu 12.04, but even the shut down button doesn't do anything. I managed to startup another xsession with xinit and xfce (from console as I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shutdown button doesn't do anything in ubuntu 12.04

Hi,

I've tried restarting my Ubuntu 12.04, but even the shut down button doesn't do anything. I managed to startup another xsession with xinit and xfce (from console as I can login into tty1-6), but it is not perfect. Is there any idea what can i do now?

Thanks in advance

Is this a fresh install? Or did you run updates before this happened? Did the update manager tell you that you needed a HAL update? It sounds to me like either a bad install or that friggin HAL update that pulls down the 14.04 kernel and blew up 1/2 my system.

Give us a little more info on what happened before this happened and what kind of machine it is.

Yeah, like Steven_G said. Systemd and Hal compete now for control of a system and we as users are left holding the ball.

In terminal. Can you shutdown with
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    Also. Make sure and give feedback on

Is this a fresh install? Or did you run updates before this happened? Did the update manager tell you that you needed a HAL update?
    Give us a little more info on what happened before this happened and what kind of machine it is.
    Also. Was a md5sum check done on downloaded live iso and how was install media made?

At Steven_G. My minimal 14.04LTS Icewm install has not broke yet and I

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    daily. But my Ubuntu 14.04 install is not a conventional newby pre-packaged type of Ubuntu install.

Edit: oops. Just noticed it is 12.04 (bold letters but I was reading Steven_G's reply instead). Maybe make a new user and log in and see if shutdown works then?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    ...Edit: oops. Just noticed it is 12.04 (bold letters but I was reading Steven_G's reply instead). Maybe make a new user and log in and see if shutdown works then?

Yeah, but in 12 they decided to stop supporting the "LTS" kernel. So they throw this "Your HAL is no longer supported" crap at you through the update manager and when you click the button it installs the 14.04 LTS kernel on to 12.04 and it totally scragged my system. I foresee this causing headaches for more than a few ou there. My solution was to just rip out the entire structure of the whole LTS kernel system and roll back to 3.5.