Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I would like to install Ubuntu in a kiosk type computer. The computer just shows a web browser (chrome) and runs a C++ application as a service. I followed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS in kiosk mode.

Hi,

I would like to install Ubuntu in a kiosk type computer. The computer just shows a web browser (chrome) and runs a C++ application as a service.

I followed the tutorial in the internet

I am however installing the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server in VirtualBox, I have installed gdm, matchbox and Xorg.

However I have run into some problems.

When I execute the script .Xsession I get the error that the DISPLAY variable is not set, also I get 'Missing output drivers' error.

It seems the server edition has some basic graphical packages missing, I could use another distro such as Debian Minimal as suggested in the above blog.

But could anyone help me in understanding the problem please.....

thanks
    a

Just Joined!
    A server is not meant to be used with display (only a console).
    Maybe the desktop version will do better?

Just Joined!

re

Quote Originally Posted by ebrjvd View Post
    A server is not meant to be used with display (only a console).
    Maybe the desktop version will do better?
    but i would like to disable the user from closing the chrome browser window, also running other programs, accesing unity toolbar and other such tasks.

what packages do i have to remove for this...

I did a apt-get remve ubuntu-desktop, apt-get remove unity. this managed to remove the window border, maximise and minimise buttons, also the unity toolbar.

Is this is correct way to do this..I would also like to disable keyboard hot keys like alt-f4 combinations etc. to prevent the user from closing the browser window.

Please suggest hw I can do this ?

Will it be possible to run an apache server installation as well in such a mode?

Thanks
    a