Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys im new to this forum i am trying to setup my friends cctv system for him hes using a pc with a capture card he wants to access ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cctv setup with ubuntu server need help

hi guys im new to this forum i am trying to setup my friends cctv system for him hes using a pc with a capture card he wants to access it remotely and the capture card software doesnt have this feature so i have installed unbuntu server 14.04.1 everything is going fine i installed zoneminder i am following this guide and im getting an error.

tuxradar. com/content/build-your-own-surveillance-zoneminder]Build your own CCTV system with Zoneminder | TuxRadar Linux

First, we add a symlink in the Apache config directory, (this tells Apache where to find the Zoneminder config file). Then, we need to restart Apache.

sudo ln -s /etc/zm/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/zoneminder.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

i tried the command above and get an error saying no such directory.

any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Can you post the error please? Also, can you post any errors or whatever apache is getting? Also, would be useful if you'd post the contents of the apache.conf.

You didn't really give near enough information to be able to help you out.

Just an FYI from a SysAdmin who deals with trouble tickets all the time on what should be with an initial post. (if you can... not everything below you'll have every time)

Description of problem (which you did... needs more details though)
    Output of any logs
    Any related configuration files
    Application you're using (which you did)
    OS you're using
    If it's hardware related post something not only about the hardware having issue but your entire system hardware if possible
    Things you've tried (which you did)

I'm sure I'm missing things but if you post those right there... You'll get a lot more people jumping on your issue because they'll be able to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

If you post more here I will try to get back to it tonight but I'm about to leave my office. If you post & I don't respond tonight I"ll be back to you early tomorrow morning.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyNotKeithberg View Post
    Can you post the error please? Also, can you post any errors or whatever apache is getting? Also, would be useful if you'd post the contents of the apache.conf.

You didn't really give near enough information to be able to help you out.

Just an FYI from a SysAdmin who deals with trouble tickets all the time on what should be with an initial post. (if you can... not everything below you'll have every time)

Description of problem (which you did... needs more details though)
    Output of any logs
    Any related configuration files
    Application you're using (which you did)
    OS you're using
    If it's hardware related post something not only about the hardware having issue but your entire system hardware if possible
    Things you've tried (which you did)

I'm sure I'm missing things but if you post those right there... You'll get a lot more people jumping on your issue because they'll be able to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

If you post more here I will try to get back to it tonight but I'm about to leave my office. If you post & I don't respond tonight I"ll be back to you early tomorrow morning.

thats the only error i get im using unbuntu 14.04.1
    its installed correctly
    zoneminder istalled correctly

after i install zoneminder it says to test the ip address on another pc which works then it says

simply of the header “It works!” and some text. If that’s working, the next step is to configure Zoneminder.

First, we add a symlink in the Apache config directory, (this tells Apache where to find the Zoneminder config file). Then, we need to restart Apache.

sudo ln -s /etc/zm/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/zoneminder.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

so i typed in the line and the error i get is ln -s no such file or directory

thats it i dont get anything else

Just Joined!
    I completely misunderstood what the error was. I thought you said it made an error but didn't post it. Now I have something to go off of.

First. Do an ls of the directory in /etc

Ls -la /etc/zm

Does the file you want exist?

Also I don't use Ubuntu. Is that actually where the apache conf.d directory is? The error is stating that either the source file or end directory doesn't exist. So you need to figure out which file or location is not there or specified wrong.