Find the answer to your Linux question:
What I need in Linux Xubuntu now: am using 12.10 with XFCE. Am satisfied using XFCE. 1. Need to go from Xubuntu 12.10 back to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

List of things I need in using Xubuntu

What I need in Linux Xubuntu now: am using 12.10 with XFCE. Am satisfied using XFCE.

1. Need to go from Xubuntu 12.10 back to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or up to 14.04.1 if it's stable. I no longer receive updates for 12.10 because it's not being supported.

2. Need to Install a Text Editor: I've tried to install many listed in the Ubuntu Software Center, but each failed with the message, “Requires installation of untrusted packages: This requires installing packages from unauthenticated sources.” Clicking “Repair” didn't work. Not a fan of Eclipse.

3. Often get a dialog box that some app needs my password: “Enter password for keyring “Default” to unlock.” Since the dialog box doesn't reveal which application wants the password, therefore I always deny. Question: would allowing this to unlock enable me to install more software? I don't have the password anyway. I tried to unlock, no go.

4. Cannot install Wine: I receive this dialog box: “Requires installation of untrusted packages: This requires installing packages from unauthenticated sources.” The details are: “fonts-horai-umefont libcapi20-3 libmpg123-0 libnss-winbind libpam-winbind ttf-umefont winbind wine-gecko1.4 wine1.4 wine1.4-common wine1.4-i386 winetricks.” I clicked “Repair,” but then received this message: “Failed to download repository information; check your internet connection.” My Internet connection is fine, thank you.

5. Firefox does not automatically update on Linux. Am still using version 29; version 31 is available on Windows and Mac OS X. Some websites don't display correctly using Firefox 29 on Linux.

6. Need these equivalents to Windows'
    >Disk Defragmenter,
    >Disk Cleanup,

7. Delete old corrupted sessions. At boot up, I am shown 3 old sessions. Only need the latest. I uncheck the “save current session for next time.”

8. Fonts 1: the Linux menus are legible, but the toolbars and menus in LibreWriter and Firefox are way too small.

9. Fonts 2: need a larger font in using Libre Writer; zoom only goes to 130%.

10. Fonts 3: need a larger font (or greater zoom) at Facebook (using Firefox), and other websites (using Firefox). Am tired of hitting “Ctrl +” three times on each new page, in order to read the font. Using Chrome, I had to hit “Ctrl +” five times to read the font on Linux Forums.

11. Fonts 4: the font in terminal emulator is waaaay toooo small. I have right clicked the “menu bar” but there is no font choice.

12. Need a free calendar program like iCal on the Mac; one site reported there isn't a good one for Linux. Am using Yahoo Calendar, as I can't read Google calendar on this used Samsung 25” monitor (I should have bought the Dell): the dark burgundy highlighting in Google Calendar is bad.

13. I have learned how to Force Close: Answer: xkill: Quote: “Sometimes, an application refuses to quit on Ubuntu and it becomes non-responding, which will oblige you to restart your computer. Fortunately, there is a command line utility called xkill that allows to kill any unresponsive application. The xkill command allows to force close a window or application with your graphical mouse pointer. – xkill Use – Open the terminal and issue this command: xkill: Your mouse pointer will change to a cross, click the unresponsive program or window to force close it. You can also run xkill by pressing ALT + F2, then running this command: xkill That's it.”

14. Need much larger cursor and mouse-pointer when playing Freecell; cannot see the small hand cursor among the cards.

15. Chrome on Linux: tabs are too dark.

16. Chromium (not Chrome) has been recommended, but the task of installation is not small.

Linux Newbie
    First thing is Linux ain't Windows. You don't need a disk defragger or other Windows specific stuff.

Back up your data and install the new version of Xubuntu. Once the new version is installed, restore your data. Once you're running the latest supported version, any programs you need will be in the software center. Updates to installed programs are handled automatically through the package manager. As soon as a new Firefox hits the repos - you'll be prompted to install it.

As far as how things (fonts) look, there are many ways either on a system-wide basis or in an application to change it...