Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a Latitude E6420 and im trying to install the new 14.04.1 release on it. The original windows 7 install went south and wont boot so i figured i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell latitude E6420 boot problems

I have a Latitude E6420 and im trying to install the new 14.04.1 release on it. The original windows 7 install went south and wont boot so i figured i would just put ubuntu on. When pressing F12 to get to boot options it doesnt always make it, some times the screen just goes black. Anything i can do to get the live ddisk to boot? maybe reformat the HDD from another computer?

You shouldn't have problems getting to the boot order menu unless you're having hardware issues. And you say 7 went south and won't boot. It could be hard drive issues or a lot of other problems. You could try plugging the HD in to another machine and running diags on it from the UBCD.

It could be RAM / MoBo / Heat / Power supply issues as well. If the HD checks out I'd crack the case and start looking for lose wires, obvious shorts, etc.

If there's nothing obvious I'd clean it out real well. No older than it is the grease on the chip should still be good. But if cleaning it out doesn't help I'd probably go a head and repaste it any way.

You could also try booting with just 1 RAM module (if it has more than one) and if it won't boot with just one then move it to the other slot and if it still won't boot try the other module. This will tell you if you have a bad module or slot if all 4 (both RAM / both slots) didn't go bad at the same time.

After that your options are to see if you can get in to the boot menu and run some of the UBCD diags against the hardware or get a laptop POST card and see if it will tell you anything or break out a voltage meter.

Just Joined!
    Heres the progress ive made with it. I tried another HDD, and still have the same problems, it allways gets to the pre-boot deel screen and if i hit F12 its a 50% chance that the boot menu opens, when it fails its a blank semi lit screen so i know the lcd is ok. Once in the boot menu i can open bios settings, from there i loaded defaults but still bo improvement. After a bunch of tries i was able to install the latest ubuntu from a flash drive, after install restarts the machine it wont load up, checked that HDD on another laptop and ubuntu os installed correctly. Theres 1 4 gig ram card installed, removed, checked, re installed still no improvements. After some research i read that a bios version uprgrade helped a few people with same problem. The current bios is A06, but i should upgrade to A21. Worth a try?

Linux Newbie
    Installing all BIOS upgrades is the proper thing to do. They create updates for a reason and it can solve problems...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Installing all BIOS upgrades is the proper thing to do. They create updates for a reason and it can solve problems...
    Is uograding thr BIOS difficult to do? Im assuming i would need to download it on another machine and place the file withing the file system on the machine in question? Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

Linux Newbie
    The only BIOS updates I have done have used DOS/Windows as the OS to flash from. Not sure you can run the flashing program from Linux...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    The only BIOS updates I have done have used DOS/Windows as the OS to flash from. Not sure you can run the flashing program from Linux...
    Even if i put a HDD with windows in the laptop it woyldnt make a defferance, it wont boot anything. Is that the only way to upgrade the bios?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by njallday View Post
    Even if i put a HDD with windows in the laptop it woyldnt make a defferance, it wont boot anything. Is that the only way to upgrade the bios?
    Contact Dell I guess.

I have never seen a BIOS update that can be flashed under Linux but anything is possible. The issue is it's not just a file that is downloaded, you have to be able to execute the program that actually writes the new BIOS code onto the EEPROM chip.

On the other front, why not fix your Windows installation? Did you by chance make a recovery disk? If so, boot it and run Windows repair. Even if you don't have a recovery disk or install media, you can download a Win 7 ISO, write it to DVD or USB, and then boot and run the repair tools...

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...download-links

Just Joined!
    I have another HDD with a good copy of windows on it but the laptop wont boot anything, windows or linux makes no difference. It gets to the dell logo, if i hit f12 it sometimes goes to boot menu and then into bios, but if i leave it alone to boot the hard drive(confirmed good copy win7) the screen goes black. A guy i work with sugested i reflow the GPU because the heat can seperate solder joints

Linux Newbie
    Certainly sounds like a hardware issue that needs to be solved before anything will work...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast