Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Add more resolutions permenantly

Hello everyone,
    I'm using the new Lubuntu and have a resolution problem when using a VGA out or HDMI, the max resolution through the monitor settings is 1024x768 which is too low.

I have managed to add the new modes I wanted through the terminal to xrandr, they worked perfectly but it was just temporary until restart.

Now after been researching online, there were a few suggestions but always got stuck with something.
    I'm looking to have the resolution modes listed permanently and the ability to save the mode I want.

I have heard about using the xorg.conf file but got lost there as regarding the settings for VGA and HDMI outputs.. And don't know if that's the way to make it permanent for startup.

Please help

There are a couple of ways to go here.

You can post some links to the tutorials that you're trying and explain the part when you get lost or it does not work.

Or

Since you already know what changes need to be made in xrandr if you post them here then I don't think it should be too hard for us to help you craft a start up script that applies the changes on boot. I have some X stuff I have to run in my start up scripts to make things work.

Also, you say it's the newest Lub. That would be 15.10? You might want to drop back to 14.04. The LTS releases are usually more stable and have fewer issues. Plus 14.04 won't lose support for about 19 months where as 15.10 will lose support in 9 months.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Sure

Sure,
    in Monitor Settings under preferences the max resolution is 1024x768
    so I add more modes to it by typing in the terminal:
    Code:
    xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
    Code:
    xrandr --addmode VGA1 1920x1080_60.00
    and then to apply the changes:
    Code:
    xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1080_60.00
    Now the new mode is listed in Monitor Settings but it's all temporary until restart.

My needs are to get it there permanently but also my worry is that even when the new mode will be listed there it won't be saved.
    So if I chose the HD resolution and click save on Monitor Settings, I wish for that mode to be used and not changes in every restart.

It is so fundamental that I don't know how it is not fixed even on the new release

In this thread there is the same issue which was instructed to edit the xorg.conf file. Should I try it?
    pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=98148.0

My xorg.conf file in the part of those settings, look like this:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Card0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     1
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     4
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     8
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     15
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     16
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Linux Guru
    pengabay, lubuntu comes with a utility that should be doing exactly what you want, i think it's called lxrandr and can be found in the menu under "display settings" or "monitor settings".
    have you tried that?

(i hope you haven't been messing with config files in /etc/X11).

Yeah I have

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    pengabay, lubuntu comes with a utility that should be doing exactly what you want, i think it's called lxrandr and can be found in the menu under "display settings" or "monitor settings".
    have you tried that?

(i hope you haven't been messing with config files in /etc/X11).
    I have tried it, but the resolutions I want are not listed there unless they are added manually which I managed to do but temporarily though..

Linux Guru
    but you are able to set the desired resolution with xrandr?
    without using lxrandr at all, only with xrandr?
    then you just have to add these commands as a startup script.
    please do a little searching on how to do it.

there's 2 parts to it:

1. create a shell script, save it and make it executable
    2. find lubuntu's startup dialog and add the script to be executed at login.

I have but

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    but you are able to set the desired resolution with xrandr?
    without using lxrandr at all, only with xrandr?
    then you just have to add these commands as a startup script.
    please do a little searching on how to do it.

there's 2 parts to it:

1. create a shell script, save it and make it executable
    2. find lubuntu's startup dialog and add the script to be executed at login.
    I have written an executable bash script which failed to load at startup for some reason.. But I will take care of it.
    I just want it to run before anything else loads so that the login screen would also be at the right resolution and really not sure it will.. Therefore I was thinking where the hell is that xrandr modes file..

Thanks for the help so far, I will try with the startup script again but seriously doubt it though.

Post the code in your script here, we'll take a look and see if there is a mistake. Hint, after you invoke bash at the start of the script have it

Code:
    sleep 1
    This will let the default system settings apply while script sleeps one second then the script will override the default settings. If you try to execute exactly at boot with no pause then the default settings will override.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by pengabay View Post
    I just want it to run before anything else loads so that the login screen would also be at the right resolution
    ah, i didn't think about that, sorry, it's been so long since i used a display manager.
    in that case my approach won't be satisfying, but everything you do with xrandr can also be achieved with configuring the X server directly.
    but be careful, make backups and keep track of what you change so you can undo it if your Xserver breaks.