Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Write issue onto NTFS partition

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search and found something close. Was a older distro. Didnít want to muck up Ubuntu so Iím going to ask first.

Long story short. Windows 10 update mucked up my hard drive. Sihost.exe error. Will somewhat boot but will not work.

So I bought a SSD and fresh install of windows 10.

Old damaged hard drive plugged into USB adapter and w10 said it must be formatted. Put back into laptop and would boot somewhat as before.

So I created Ubuntu bootable usb and booted it up. Ubuntu can read and I think paste on damaged hard drive w10 partition. Can see and NOT paste to SSD w10 partition. When used via USB adapter.

Went through permissions and still the command is grayed out.

Acer I5 4G ram
    320G HDD. (The one that is damaged)
    500G SSD. The new one.

Ubuntu distro 18.4

Old HDD during this issue I put Ubuntu installed as dual boot.

Why canít I write to the new SSD. For the record old HDD on external USB adapter and booted into Ubuntu will not even acknowledge the drive exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linux User
    Ok, first of all, whenever you are asking for help, don't tell the whole story. It's irrelevant and distracting.
    Regarding your problem. How are you mounting the partition? Is ntfs-3g installed? If it's not, install it, then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    Ok, first of all, whenever you are asking for help, don't tell the whole story. It's irrelevant and distracting.
    Regarding your problem. How are you mounting the partition? Is ntfs-3g installed? If it's not, install it, then try again.
    Sorry about the confusing post. Didnít want to leave out a meaningful detail that may effect the advice.

Donít know if nrfs13g is installed or not. If it doesnít come with the distro download then itís not.

I will look into method of installing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Open up a terminal, and run

Code:
    man apt
    Then look into the "search" and "install" parameters.

I don't know the actual name of the package in that distribution. Maybe

Code:
    sudo apt install ntfs-3g
    Will do it. You'll have to do your own experiments.

Or better still find another Forum where you will get real advice.

Dennis

Linux User
    I would recommend you ignore the obnoxious kids lurking around the forum.

In the Home page go to "Profile" > Click "Edit ignore list" > Type "Dennis2" (without quotes) > Click "Okay".

Repeat the process, but now type "habit" instead of "Dennis2". (Again, no quotes.)

You're welcome.

I would recommend you ignore the obnoxious kids lurking around the forum.
    like the absolute idiots who tell you not to give details, and that logging in as root is ok. people like CarterCock. look at the previous crap advice hes given out.
    In the Home page go to "Profile" > Click "Edit ignore list" > Type "Dennis2" (without quotes) > Click "Okay".

Repeat the process, but now type "habit" instead of "Dennis2". (Again, no quotes.)

You're welcome.
    yea, listen to CarterCock...take the advice of a go-tard who doesnt know any better than to tell you something like "if you had fast boot enabled in win 10, linux will only mount it read only", because they dont know any better. like the fact that ntfs-3g is typically installed and enabled by default.

but CarterCock...dont ignore him. let him give you junk to try for a month or so because he doesnt know any better. ignore everyone else.

Linux User
    Did you just say "typically"? Did you mean "certainly" or do you actually have no idea what you are talking about?

Whenever Windows just hibernates, the file manager will display a warning about the partition being mounted read-only. I don't see that in the OP.

Did you just say "typically"? Did you mean "certainly" or do you actually have no idea what you are talking about?
    yea, dumbass, its 'typically", because he didnt say if he did a default install or not. thats why. package could have been deselected at build time. so 'typically" fits, retard.
    Whenever Windows just hibernates, the file manager will display a warning about the partition being mounted read-only. I don't see that in the OP.
    oh, you mean where you told him NOT to post the whole story? you mean that part? he also didnt say it WASNT did he?

or do you actually have no idea what you are talking about? thats rhetorical for you, because you DO NOT have any idea what your talking about. dumbass.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    yea, dumbass, its 'typically", because he didnt say if he did a default install or not. thats why. package could have been deselected at build time. so 'typically" fits, retard.
    So you don't. Great.
    Oh wait, is that 2 insults in one paragraph? I'm sorry, you must be right. I take it all back.
    I guess that he compiled Ubuntu from source, forgot to install ntfs-3g, and doesn't know how to solve the problem. Sounds like you cracked the case. Open-and-shut.
    oh, you mean where you told him NOT to post the whole story? you mean that part? he also didnt say it WASNT did he?
    Yeah, I meant things that are irrelevant to the problem.
    Well, it's safe to assume that if you can't write to a drive, and you get a read-only message, you'd post about the message, not the not being able to write, since that's not really the problem.
    or do you actually have no idea what you are talking about? thats rhetorical for you, because you DO NOT have any idea what your talking about. dumbass.
    Dumbass? It looks like you really know your stuff. Why didn't you mention that before?
    How humble, how admirable...