Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trying to install dual boot Win10/Ubuntu Mate 18.04. Need guidance ple

I am starting my bi-annual upgrade to the latest LTS (18.04.1) on a Win 10 Home Dell XPS i7 with 16GB ram, but am am a bit out of practice (and tbh have never developed any competence that sticks).

I have put this into "Linux-Software" (instead of "Newbie" even though I have only limited experience.Your patience (and simply worded replies) appreciated.

Using a bootable installation USB stick, I have the "Installation Type" screen open and it is showing me the following:

Free Space 1MB
    /dev/sda1 efi (size)524MB / (used) 55MB Windows Boot Manager
    /dev/sda2 fat32 41/41 [all size/used #'s hereafter are MB]
    /dev/sda3 (blank) 134/unknown
    /dev/sda4 ntfs 786/313
    /dev/sda5 ntfs 989321/98659
    Free Space 0MB
    /dev/sda6 ntfs 925/438
    /dev/sda7 ntfs 8467/7684
    Free Space 1MB

I have no idea what all those small sdaX's are, but I would like to keep Win10 available if for some reason I later want to use it, but expect to use UM almost exclusively.

I can see three alternatives:

1) replace the 1T HDD, with a 120GB SSD. I can use approx 60GB for Win 10 OS with a new install and the other half for U Mate 18.04 OS new install, then reformat and split the existing HDD for a data drive for both OS's.

2) do a new Win10 install on the existing HDD as sda but restrict it to say 200GB during the install, and install U Mate as sdb using the balance. This would have the advantage of starting fresh with both.

3) Lastly, I can install UM alongside the existing Win10, which I initially started on, but ran into problems shrinking the Win partition, have spent a lot of time on it already and my current opinion is that this is a distant third choice.

Any guidance appreciated

While awaiting replies, I continue to work on shrinking the HDD and have followed all the guidance I can find, but so far have only shrunk the Win partition to approx 655GB (can't look right now as defrag is running.) This is just too much to devote to what I expect will be limited use of Win10.

Have thought of another option which is to use the SSD only for Ubuntu Mate and do a clean install of win10 on the HDD after setting up a new partition of approx 200GB for it.

this seems to me to preserve the original HDD for booting Windows and gives all the space on the SDD for UM.

How does this sound? Any obvious problems to those who understand this stuff better than me?

Given the lack of replies, and also being fairly sure that there are many on this forum who are capable, I guess I should ask if I am doing something wrong in my posts? Or should I look for a more active forum? Or? Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Look for another forum.
    Dennis

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post

Free Space 1MB
    /dev/sda1 efi (size)524MB / (used) 55MB Windows Boot Manager
    /dev/sda2 fat32 41/41 [all size/used #'s hereafter are MB]
    /dev/sda3 (blank) 134/unknown
    /dev/sda4 ntfs 786/313
    /dev/sda5 ntfs 989321/98659
    Free Space 0MB
    /dev/sda6 ntfs 925/438
    /dev/sda7 ntfs 8467/7684
    Free Space 1MB
    sda is your main drive; 1-7 are partitions.
    Put grub or your bootloader on sda1.

(Additional drives would be sdb, sdc etc..)

sda2,3,4 are recovery related from what I can tell.

sda5 is main windows drive (c
    sda6,7 no clue.

You will need to repartition before you install anything, ensuring you have defragged everything.

create a blank space of at least 40G. And I recommend making a 'data' drive for access to windows files from linux to prptect the operating system partition.

[QUOTE]

1) replace the 1T HDD, with a 120GB SSD. I can use approx 60GB for Win 10 OS with a new install and the other half for U Mate 18.04 OS new install, then reformat and split the existing HDD for a data drive for both OS's.

2) do a new Win10 install on the existing HDD as sda but restrict it to say 200GB during the install, and install U Mate as sdb using the balance. This would have the advantage of starting fresh with both.
    [\QUOTE]

I like both of these choices.

I found the best way to get aquanted with installing any linux is to not use an installer; this will give you the knowledge of what is done, needed to do and what happens when you miss a small seemingly stupid action.

The best Flav of linux for this is Arch. They are only a 64 bit os now (sadface)

Hope this helps.

Dissapointed multi quoting does not work here.
    Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk