Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Lubuntu on mac

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lubuntu on mac

I need some help..i installed lubuntu 18.04 on a. mac ( 2010 ?) When it boots it goes to the grub terminal. I tried using the lubuntu DVD to fix it with boot repair. (I added yannubuntu to the PPA) the mac still boots to grub terminal.. Could I reinstall lubuntu but this time erase the hard drive and then install lubuntu? Yes, I dont know much about linux, just enough to break it periodically. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

re

hello

did you try with chroot from usb live? If yes what happened? Why did you chosse Lubuntu? Could you give the out of these commands:
    - lspci -n (this give you info about compatibility level. Paste it here then post here)
    - sudo fdisk -l
    post them here

keep me in touch

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by cokiere View Post
    hello

did you try with chroot from usb live? If yes what happened? Why did you chosse Lubuntu? Could you give the out of these commands:
    - lspci -n (this give you info about compatibility level. Paste it then post here)
    - sudo fdisk -l
    post them here

keep me in touch
    I have a similar issue after trying to install Lubuntu on my HP Mini 2140 (old atom N270), after booting into the live session USB, I selected a partition to write over that already had Linux mint on it because the newer mint is just too slow on this machine. Unfortunately I likely errored in leaving the "location to write MBR to" option as it was by default instead of selecting "none/nowhere" because the install failed, it got through all the setup process and the partitioning etc, and upon clicking continue it completed setup up to the point of being finished with the partitionig/disk prep and then upon moving to the actual copying of files stage I got an error telling me the installation failed, bad source, source = cdrom/Casper etc etc

Upon rebooting I was stuck at the grub rescue scene and couldnít access Windows or either Linux Mint version Iíd had installed before, I expected the latter to be likely gone, but windows startup repair isnít even able to fix the issue, though it sees the win 8.1 partition and even allowed me to restore from a restore point, I still canít boot to it though and get the grub rescue screen.

Final important details, I had the 3 OSís installed via Multiboot/YUMI and at the time it used Grub 1, same story for the hard drive I used to house all the install ISOís. I wasnít thinking and just used the New Version of YUMI to create a new USB stick with a single partition/Lubuntu live cd, and thus that USB was set up with Grub 2 if I understand correctly, so maybe whatever portion of the YUMI/multiboot OS selector I had on my internal hard drive was screwed up by trying to add an OS with Grub 2? I donít know if that makes sense or not I just want to give all relevant info, Iíve never had an issue like this that the windows install cdís boot repair option couldnít fix by at least getting it booatable, so Iím a now out of my element/past any prior experience.

Forgive me if this is considered thread jacking, I will post my own thread as well and will delete this post or the mods are free to do so, I figured it was worth posting in the event the OP can help if he had his issue fixed since he posted it last month, or at least how he dealt with grub rescue.

Thanks for your time and help everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$spacer_open
$spacer_close