Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New hard drive is a pain in the SSD

I have an HP Probook 4530s that dual boots Ubuntu 18.04 and (rarely) Windows 10 on a 1TB HDD. I recently acquired a 1TB SSD and cloned the Windows and storage partitions and, rather than copy my old Ubuntu, I did a fresh install. And wow SSD is amazing. My problem is that when I plug the original drive into USB or insert it into my new optical tray adapter, Ubuntu can not see or access my original Ubuntu partition. GParted can see it. But i can not mount it to copy the contents of my old /home. I tried booting to the old partition same issue, it can't see the new Ubuntu install. I did Google but I can't find anything relevant... anyone here know what I am missing?

I dunno if it's relevant but I had a hella time trying to clone the NTFS partitions...GParted absolutely refused to access/copy those partitions and Clonezilla errored out but did successfully perform the operations.
    Thank you!!!!
    Registered Linux user #439800.

-->
    Never mind. I found help elsewhere but wanted to update this in case anyone else finds this thread. Because I cloned the disk, the partition UUID's were the same and this caused a conflict. I just needed to use GParted to change the UUID of the original Ubuntu partition on the HDD.
    Registered Linux user #439800.