Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by ImNeat Should I set one for the sake of having it? Can someone hop on my computer and sudo passwd and set one w/o my permission? If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ImNeat
    Should I set one for the sake of having it? Can someone hop on my computer and sudo passwd and set one w/o my permission? If it's unneccessary I can live without it - but I don't want a big security problem staring at me.
    No, sudo requires your password to use, which should be secure. If someone else could sudo, then they would already be able to do anything as root anyway.

Just Joined!

root password or user password?

hey guys this is a logical post since your helpin this guy, lol but i have kubuntu 5.10 breezy and Gnome installed (go figure) anyway it always asks for a password for root priveledges but sometimes it isnt the user password and they want the root and i never know which one to give out cause my root password doesnt work for root and so on and so forth lol what do i do how do i know? lol ive used Debian, Knoppix, and PCLOS, Now i like Ubuntu the best! :P

Quote Originally Posted by romUdog
    lol but i have kubuntu 5.10 breezy and Gnome installed (go figure)
    I have ubuntu 5.1 and kde. Go us =). Whenever I sudo I always use my user password (that being the password of the first user I created during installation.) I have never needed another pw, I havn't even made a root account. If you make a root password I imagine you will have to start using that one though.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!

hi everyone.

i'm new in the linux thing.
    i have the same problem with the kubuntu 6.06
    the install progress was fine but now i need to type user name and password
    what should i do?
    i didwnt undestood what u wrote about "sudu"...

Quote Originally Posted by arik
    Weren't you asked to choose either ones during the install process?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by arik
    i'm new in the linux thing.
    i have the same problem with the kubuntu 6.06
    what should i do?
    i didwnt undestood what u wrote about "sudu"...
    If you did a regular installation, you should have created a username and password during installation.

If you did an expert install, for whatever reason, do a regular install instead. You're not an expert (I'm not one either), and the expert install will just confuse you and make your system appear unusable from a root/sudo standpoint.

For more on sudo, read the links I posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    the expert install will just confuse you and make your system appear unusable from a root/sudo standpoint.
    During expert install, one is asked to configure the root account, and a standard account. The expert does configure the root account and a normal account, but does not configure "sudo" (which you can configure lather on with "visudo").

The normal install configures a normal account and "sudo".

Myself I prefer the expert install, because it gives you more flexibility (possibility to tune your cd-rom drive with hdparm, thus making the installation faster, etc.).

But I admit it can be pretty confusing at first.

I would recommand the normal install to anyone as well.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Unhappy ubuntu@ubuntu password

am installing ubuntu 7.08 and am stuck how do i proceed

wanyoko,
    Please post a new thread detailing you problems. What point are you stuck at, what is the nature of the problem/error.

You can post a new thread in this Ubuntu forum and you should get a response pretty quickly. Make sure you give as much information as you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2