Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to run kmid (midi player). When I open a .mid file, I try to play it and it comes with the alert that it could not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KMid

Hello, I am trying to run kmid (midi player). When I open a .mid file, I try to play it and it comes with the alert that it could not open /dev/sequencer and then it says that there is probably another program using it. Any ideas. Thanks for all the help.

~Linux1245

Angry /dev/sequencer

I am having the same problem as are others I have seen on other Linux forums-
    I am going to uninstall it and see what happens :drown:

jwf
    Hi Folks,
    I get the same message on a laptop running kubuntu. Matter of fact, when I check the directory "DEV" there is no file or sudirectory called 'sequencer'. I was originally thinking this may be related to a permissions setting. Now, I'm thinking the install setup was not either completed or something else needs to be set up so the 'DEV/SEQUENCER' exists.
    Just checked with the kde bug report site. Seems this was reported (Bug 69731) but not fixed. (http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug_cgi?id=69731). Probably not the same setup as we have, yet the description is dead on.,,, but no fix.
    Assuming KMID may not be runnable, anyone suggest an alternative for running midi files?
    Ubuntu 11.04 on IBM ThinkCentre
    Fedora, VMware Player (windows xp,Knoppix 6.5) on Lenovo Laptop
    GRUB Fedora / Windows 7, VMware Player (Windows 2008 server) on NCIX quad core PC.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwf
    Hi Folks,
    <snip>
    Assuming KMID may not be runnable, anyone suggest an alternative for running midi files?
    Timidity will work, but has problems when other things are going on (e.g. it 'stutters' when the window is moved)

/dev/sequencer can be created by installing the appropriate kernel modules - I have not discovered the correct combination yet. I have been able to create /dev/sequencer so that kmid does not give an error, it also does not give any sound!