Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
For the time being, my parents don't want Linux on the computer, so I'm going to compromise by making it so they don't have to deal with Linux unless I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Ubuntu/Linux newbie

For the time being, my parents don't want Linux on the computer, so I'm going to compromise by making it so they don't have to deal with Linux unless I'm on the computer. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with Ubuntu, but my first task at the moment would be to make it so that Windows, not Ubuntu, is the default OS to load when the computer boots up. How can I modify the bootloader that Ubuntu installed to have Windows at the top of the list so that it loads if the user doesn't specify otherwise? Step-by-step would be great.

Thanks!

-GPAC

oz
    forum.guy
    In the following example, you could either change the default setting to 1, or reverse the Linux and Windows sections/entries. That should do it.

Code:
    timeout   15
    default   0
    color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue

# (0) Linux
    title Linux
    root   (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=794
    initrd /boot/initrd26.img

# (1) WinXP
    title WinXP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    oz

Linux User
    So where do I put that code? I really know next to nothing about how to do this. For example, I go into the console, then what do I type to access the bootloader files, and what do I edit? etc.

I can tell you how to do this but before I give you the answer, I must say: If your parents don't want you to mess around with the computer, think twice before changing anything! If you run into trouble, it is all your fault. :P

Okay, here is the answer:
    in a terminal launch first (in case nano is not installed on your box by default)

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nano

Once it is installed, type

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Now the bootloader config file will be visible. change the "default" setting number so it points to the WinXP entry (grub starts counting with 0 (Zero)! This is important to know. Thus your first entry will have the number 0, the second will be number 1).
    Now save with ctrl+o and exit with ctrl+x and reboot. If should boot now into Windows as default OS.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    sorry kojak...there is an easy way in ubuntu...
    go to applications then system tools then run as different user... click on this...
    in the box "run", type gedit
    it will ask for password...type it in...
    use your mouse now and go up to /boot/grub/
    open menu.lst
    now follow what kojak has said...
    it is like using windows this way and u will find it easy using the ubuntu features...

sorry kojak, hope you dont mind...

I don't mind at all, but I tend not to run gui apps with root/sudo privileges (= don't use gksu stuff). And I like nano better than some heavyweight like gedit for those tasks. I guess I am too much of a geek already.

Just Joined!
    "too much of a geek"not at all
    i personally dont do things the easy way but in this case, i always offer an easy way...
    when someone gets thrown in the deep end and doesnt have an understanding, they can fall down and not want to use linux...i prefer the KISS principle for a new user so they get to enjoy linux, then they will stay (hopefully)...
    too many tell me how hard it is to use linux...
    when if we just show them the easiest option first(irrelevent of wether its gui or not)..then they just may start to advertise the ease that they have with this OS...
    it doesnt have to be hard all the time and some times it pays to take the easy way...
    it is really an easy os to use but then i remember when it was on the BBS's as a better option to minix...
    (umm yes i am a little on the elderly side...but i watched kojak on tv then too)lol...

ps: i always thought, when i get older, i may find a husband like KOJAK...but now...nah...

(umm yes i am a little on the elderly side...but i watched kojak on tv then too)lol...
    Mhm... I always loved watching Kojak as a kid/teenager. And recently they started to broadcast the series again in Germany. Wow. I am in heaven again... childhood memories.

About KISS, sure I usually propagate that, too. Linux does not need to be hard, but when you use Linux for an extended period (=many many years), then you sometimes simply forget that others are not that comfy with Linux as yourself. That was the case with me. Oooops.

Just Joined!
    hey thats cool...lets hope he got that machine working....
    its quite funny how someone will read a forum post but wont look at the man pages or the documentation that comes with the OS...
    even a unix book would help if they read it but most people use it for supporting the monitor or as a foot rest....lol

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    So where do I put that code? I really know next to nothing about how to do this. For example, I go into the console, then what do I type to access the bootloader files, and what do I edit? etc.
    Don't use this code, it's just an example. Just edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst (or grub.conf) file to boot default 1, or reverse the order of your Linux/Windows entries. You have to be root to edit that file. That should do it.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast