Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to do a fresh install of Ubuntu, but the cd drives seem to have disappeared! I can't even boot from the bootable Ubuntu install CD I used to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD Drives Gone

I want to do a fresh install of Ubuntu, but the cd drives seem to have disappeared! I can't even boot from the bootable Ubuntu install CD I used to build the machine in the first place.

Is this a Linux problem, or a hardware issue? If Linux, where do I start to fix?

TIA

Gary

OK, that's lacking some important details, like what you mean by the CD drives disappearing. I'm guessing you don't mean the drive vaporized, leaving a hole in your case where the drive used to be. So is it not showing up in the BIOS or what?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Banned
    Are you making sure that the bio's is booting from CDRom.
    Did you burn it correctly? Did you check the md5checksum?

Do you get errors.
    Please read the rules...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined! aninnocentbystander's Avatar

check

Check your drives (the physical ones inside your case), not to sound like a newb but some times the simplest things can cause the biggest problems. also, as stated above, make sure that your boot order has CD set first.

Just Joined!

CDs Gone!

I am such an idiot! In fact, the CD was gone, broken, kaput, virtual puffs of smoke!

So, new cd drive and everything works. Now if I can just get sound to work ... In and Out!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Gary

Your welcome, and sound shouldnt be a problem. I had ubuntu installed and the sound was working fine right after installation. More details would prove more helpful (sound card manufacturer, model, etc.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gvnored
    I am such an idiot! In fact, the CD was gone, broken, kaput, virtual puffs of smoke!
    How the hell did that happen

don't be so mean on the guy, he's new, (like me) and hey we all are newbs at one point. Anyway, when you get on ubuntu there is a configuration tool to help you set up your peripherials. I dont remember where it is exactly, (sorry) but I do know its called 'Ubuntu Device Manager' or something of that sort. (sorry again, on a windows machine). Just do a search for that, and run it.

Banned
    I was not being mean, I litrally ment how did that happen...It kinda well..crazy

ohh...sorry, misunderstanding on my part