Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, within the first few days of installing Ubuntu, I ran into a numerous amount of problems, most of them caused because I had no clue what I was doing. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

All My Problems in One Little Place

Well, within the first few days of installing Ubuntu, I ran into a numerous amount of problems, most of them caused because I had no clue what I was doing.

Problem #1: When I copied some data from a CD, it came in as read-only, so I did "sudo chmod -R 777 ~/". I thought I knew what I was doinog, but as it turns out, my .dmrc file needs to have 644 permissions. So I did "sudo chmod 644 ~/". But that gave me even more errors. So I have no clue what to do about this. fixed

Problem #2: (This probably has nothing to do with Linux, but it's a problem). I installed Thunderbird, which went pretty smoothly, although I don't know what directory it's in. So I set my Gmail account up with Thunderbird, and I got 1328 or so messages, which I spent half an hour sorting out and deleting, etc. Then I tried to send a message, and it gave me a "5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first 64sm610030wra." I don't know what that means. fixed

Problem #3: I was customizing the top panel and the GAIM tray icon disappeared, along with the little separator between the clock and the rest of the panel. How do I get it back? Is there any way I can reset the panel to sometime yesterday.

Problem #4: There are these weird minimizing and maximizing animations when I do those actions with any window I do that with. What's wrong? fixed

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzlefish
    Well, within the first few days of installing Ubuntu, I ran into a numerous amount of problems, most of them caused because I had no clue what I was doing.
    Same thing happened to me when I first installed Ubuntu--it's all part of the learning process.

Problem #1: When I copied some data from a CD, it came in as read-only, so I did "sudo chmod -R 777 ~/". I thought I knew what I was doinog, but as it turns out, my .dmrc file needs to have 644 permissions. So I did "sudo chmod 644 ~/". But that gave me even more errors. So I have no clue what to do about this.
    Even though your .dmrc file needs 644 permissions, I think the rest of your /home directory should be something like 755. I don't know if the sudo command itself might have screwed up your permissions. Try doing this:
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 ~/
    sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
    Problem #3: I was customizing the top panel and the GAIM tray icon disappeared, along with the little separator between the clock and the rest of the panel. How do I get it back? Is there any way I can reset the panel to sometime yesterday.
    Have you tried right-clicking on the panel and selecting "Add to Panel"?

Problem #4: There are these weird minimizing and maximizing animations when I do those actions with any window I do that with. What's wrong?
    Go to Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor > Apps > Metacity > General > Reduced Resources. Make sure that box is checked/ticked. Then go to System > Preferences > Assistive Technology Support and enable that.

Edit: Would it be easier to just reinstall?
    It probably would, but you wouldn't learn as much.

Just Joined!
    Try doing this:
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 ~/
    sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
    I tried that, but maybe doing it again will work.

Have you tried right-clicking on the panel and selecting "Add to Panel"?
    Yes, and the little Gaim icon isn't in the list.

Go to Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor > Apps > Metacity > General > Reduced Resources. Make sure that box is checked/ticked. Then go to System > Preferences > Assistive Technology Support and enable that.
    Thanks, that worked perfectly.

Yes, and the little Gaim icon isn't in the list.
    Sorry. You should be looking for something called System Tray or Notification Area.

Just Joined!
    You probably removed the notification area.

From http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q32:
    "If you're using Gnome you need to make sure that your panel has a Notification Area on it. To add one, right click on the panel, select Add To Panel->Utility->Notification Area. Gaim will insert the tray icon in any System Tray implementation that conforms to these standards, so feel free to write one for your window manager of choice."

Just Joined!
    Just curious as to how you resolved the issue with GAIM and the notificiation area...I seem to be having the same problem. Thx.

Just Joined!

Gaim would not use notification area

I had a problem where gaim would not put its icon in the notification area. This happened after I installed a complete Debian system and loaded a backup of my home directory.

When I installed gaim and selected the system tray icon, a small window would open on the screen with only the little icon in it. I tried restarting gaim, X, completely logging out, even restarting, nothing worked.

Finally I removed all panel notification areas from my screens (I have two monitors), re-added the notification areas, and voilà, it worked.