Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK, I have near reached the end of my rope with Linux. Please don't take this as a rant. I am asking *anyone* if they know how to solve this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux N00B - HELP!!! Linux won't boot!

OK,

I have near reached the end of my rope with Linux. Please don't take this as a rant. I am asking *anyone* if they know how to solve this problem.

I was reading about partitions today and decided to manually partition the entire disk myself. The link I was reading advised that a 50 MB boot partition may solve a lot of my problems. I first erased all partitions then created the following partitions on the disk:

/boot - ext3 - 50 MB
    /swap - swap - 512 MB
    / - ext3 - 7.2 GB

The link I used for advice is located here:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p2

The rest of the install went exactly as expected. Now I receive this message:

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 15

Can anyone explain what this error is and how I can fix it??? This is becoming absolutely ridiculous. I have never in my life ecountered an OS that required this degree of technical skill to successfully install. I have installed all flavours of DOS, Windows (3.1, 95/98/ME, NT, 2000, XP) as well as OS/2 on Netfinity servers at work. I now have a comp sitting on my desk that has a broken OS, no command prompt and no apparent way to repair it. If there is no solution, Canonical will have at least provided me with 10 shiny new ubuntu skeets to blast away with the 12 gauge (whoever said linux was absolutely useless... lol).

Does anyone have any clue on how to fix this? Or is it just that Windows is simply the superior choice for 80% of the home user market? I was seriously interested in linux, but it is quickly becoming apparent that it must be an absolute nightmare to administer for anyone just starting to learn it. I have been at this for 3 days straight an feel like I am chasing my own tail. The box has gone through the following changes since I began this exercise in frustration:

Upgraded MB and CPU from PII 450 to PIII 800 MB
    New LG DVD-ROM
    Removed ISA SB AWE 64 audio card
    Changed numerous IDE cables
    Numerous BIOS settings changes

Even with all the changes and reinstalls, I have not been able to get neither SUSE nor Ubuntu 5.10 to load to a desktop. Sadly, it is really starting to seem that every negative thing I have ever heard about linux seems to be true, and that it firmly entrenched in the realm of the "hobbyist" user.

Can anyone help sort out this mess before I give it up for good???

Annuvin

hm.. I have had Grub Error 15 before and thats only when I didn't actually install the bootloader... Try the "Guided Partitoning" in Ubuntu and see if it helps. If that works, then you did something wrong with your partitions, if it doesn't you may have a bad disc an issue somewhere else.

Hi Annuvin,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Please read all of this first. Then, if you haven't already, google "ubuntu grub error 15" for more info on what is happeneing. From what I can gather, there is something missing in your /boot partition that grub is trying to find but can't. I've installed grub a bunch of times and have never gotten this error. There are ways to fix it, but since you are new to Linux, I'd recommend just doing a re-install which wouldn't take very long. Did you install the grub boot loader to the mbr or to your /boot partition?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Code:
    15 : File not found
    This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.
    this is the error. Which usually means that you have an incorrect line in your grub.conf most likely the kernel name.

I would use a live-cd like knoppix or something similar. Boot into it. Mount your /boot partition.

then

Code:
    cd /boot
    ls -all      (look for the name of your kernel most likely vmlinuz something
    cd /boot/grub/
    nano grub.conf (or any other text editor like vi or vim)
    then make sure line that looks like this has the correct kernel name (in my example vmlinuz)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Hi Annuvin,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Please read all of this first. Then, if you haven't already, google "ubuntu grub error 15" for more info on what is happeneing. From what I can gather, there is something missing in your /boot partition that grub is trying to find but can't. I've installed grub a bunch of times and have never gotten this error. There are ways to fix it, but since you are new to Linux, I'd recommend just doing a re-install which wouldn't take very long. Did you install the grub boot loader to the mbr or to your /boot partition?
    Perhaps I am missing something here. First of all the Ubuntu installer never gave me a choice to do much of anything but manually set up partitions. It did not ask where I should install the grub boot loader, the install put that wherever it did automatically. Re-installing will not help, as this is at least the 8th time I have attempted to install linux, with no success to date. Previously, I attempted SUSE which would not load either. I then attempted Ubuntu which the first serveral times would lock up on the "GRUB loading, please wait...." prompt. After I manually set the partitions myself (according to the link above), it now gives me Error 15.

The most frustrating problem I have had to date is the people in linux forums who continually insist that linux is easier to install than Windows, and that I am an idiot for not being able to get it to work. It certainly doesn't make me too eager to ask for help so I can be ridiculed by the linux community at large.

As to editing the MBR or trying to fix this manually, I have never used linux before and have no idea how I would go about that. I have an ubuntu live CD that boots to a desktop (on the same machine, I might add), but as far as navigating to the file I need to change and making the appropriate changes, I am completely at a loss. It is really starting to appear to me that linux is an OS designed by, and for, a niche hobbyist market of people who live and breathe this kind of thing. It certainly doesn't look like something that is a viable alternative to 80% of the home computer market.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but I am very frustrated and completely at a loss as to how to get this OS running. I downloaded Mandrake last night and am contemplating giving that a try, but if I encounter the same problem, I will be loading Windows back on the box and forgetting about linux altogether.

For background purposes, I am a certified Network Systems Engineer and have several MS certifications as well as my CCNA. To be perfectly honest, if I find linux this hard to install, I can't see how at least 80% of the home user market will ever be able to.

Regards,

Annuvin

The most frustrating problem I have had to date is the people in linux forums who continually insist that linux is easier to install than Windows, and that I am an idiot for not being able to get it to work. It certainly doesn't make me too eager to ask for help so I can be ridiculed by the linux community at large.
    No one is going to call you an idiot or shun you from the Linux society. We were all noobs once, and I still am. I've never experienced any negativity from this forum and very little from all the others I visit. Say what you like here, nobody is going to throw rocks

It is really starting to appear to me that linux is an OS designed by, and for, a niche hobbyist market of people who live and breathe this kind of thing. It certainly doesn't look like something that is a viable alternative to 80% of the home computer market.
    I believe this is almost wholly untrue. When it comes to distros such as (Edu)(K)(X)Ubuntu, Suse, Mepis, Xandros, Fedora, etc. the former windows user should have no trouble installing the system. When I started using Linux in January, I tried Fedora Core 4 and had it installed no trouble. The linux community is trying to break out of the stereotypical mindframe of Windows users and the ill informed who think Linux is for hobbyists and computer gurus. Now, if a first time Linux user were to try to install Gentoo, Slackware or Debian, I can see the problems they would encounter. You may be just having some run of the mill bad luck.

Re-installing will not help, as this is at least the 8th time I have attempted to install linux, with no success to date.
    Have you tried a fully automated install? Just try letting the installer do everything (it should do this). Then when its installed, take a look at your partitioning scheme and see if you can spot your mistake.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but I am very frustrated and completely at a loss as to how to get this OS running. I downloaded Mandrake last night and am contemplating giving that a try, but if I encounter the same problem, I will be loading Windows back on the box and forgetting about linux altogether.
    Well, I've had Mandriva 2006 installed in the past, and although I was no huge fan, it is a fairly nice distro. If I remember correctly, the install was graphical and mindless also. If you do a full next-->next-->finish install (credit to techiemoe for the little next, next finish) and you still have problems, then there is more than likely something very odd about your machine. Hopefully you get a distro up and running soon so you can come back and share your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Annuvin
    For background purposes, I am a certified Network Systems Engineer and have several MS certifications as well as my CCNA. To be perfectly honest, if I find linux this hard to install, I can't see how at least 80% of the home user market will ever be able to.
    Annuvin, I don't use Ubuntu so I'm not familiar with their installer. Most other Linux distros give you a choice of installing to the MBR or the first part of the /root partition. I guess Ubuntu doesn't. Please forgive my ignorance.

No one here has been rude to you. Everyone has been generous in their efforts to assist you. I see you didn't read the article I linked which would have informed you about a lot of the frustration you are having. A hundred year's background in Windows IT won't help you in Linux, it actually will work against you which is what I see happening. You want to address this problem like you are in Windows which intuitively you know will not work. I really think you'll be waisting your time trying to install and learn any distro because you don't seem to be willing to take the time to learn. Did all of your Windows knowledge come in one week?

Most everyone here is more than willing to help you if you will show a little patience. I promise you though, you'll find nothing but indifference to you and your problems when you bash Linux and Linux users. If you insist on doing so, I respectfully suggest you should drop this whole idea and just use Windows.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Annuvin, I don't use Ubuntu so I'm not familiar with their installer. Most other Linux distros give you a choice of installing to the MBR or the first part of the /root partition. I guess Ubuntu doesn't. Please forgive my ignorance.

No one here has been rude to you. Everyone has been generous in their efforts to assist you. I see you didn't read the article I linked which would have informed you about a lot of the frustration you are having. A hundred year's background in Windows IT won't help you in Linux, it actually will work against you which is what I see happening. You want to address this problem like you are in Windows which intuitively you know will not work. I really think you'll be waisting your time trying to install and learn any distro because you don't seem to be willing to take the time to learn. Did all of your Windows knowledge come in one week?

Most everyone here is more than willing to help you if you will show a little patience. I promise you though, you'll find nothing but indifference to you and your problems when you bash Linux and Linux users. If you insist on doing so, I respectfully suggest you should drop this whole idea and just use Windows.
    Dapper Dan,

Ubuntu does not give you an option to install to the MBR or the first part of the /root. As a n00b, I have no idea where it does get installed.

Also, I mave have been misunderstood. No one has been rude to me in this forum. However, I have had problems in other forums with such comments as "I have a hard time believing you are certified in anything" or "the linux community does not need any more new users" because I could not get Ubuntu installed. I was not insinuating that anyone here has been anything less than helpful (albeit a little to linux-techno for someone like me who knows nothing about linux). If my comments in regards to linux being a niche market for hobbyists offended you, I apologize. However, in serveral forums there are people claiming linux is easier to install than Windows. I can attest from my experience so far, that is simply not the case.

As for being patient enough to learn linux, if I was as impatient as you have been led to believe I am, I would have already went back to Windows. The frustration you are reading in my posts is born from being at this three days and still not having an OS to speak of. Having the system hang at "GRUB loading, please wait..." or receiving Error 15 and then hang, does not inspire much to make me want to see what the next reinstall/reboot is going to bring... especially when I have no idea what is causing the error nor how to fix it. I have tried fully automated installs, manual partition installs and hardware changes to get around this problem, and have had absolutely no progess to show for my efforts.

It is true I did not become proficient in Windows in one day. However, I did have an OS installed in less than one day and was able to start experimenting with what the OS looked like and what it was capable of. This caused renewed interest in Windows and drove me to learn more. Seeing nothing but "GRUB loading, please wait..." for the last three days has done nothing but foster a great deal of frustration.

Regards,

Annuvin

Hi..first post.. I put Ubuntu on this machine yesterday and at the partitioning I first chose option2... erase entire disk and use LVM manager... spent 1 hour installing to get error 15

So I have learned in the past the best way with linux sometimes is to blat everything off the drive and start again..

Started from scratch and used the Slackware 10 bootdisk (DSL has the same tools) to use Cfdisk to totally remove all the partitions and made sure to write the changes berore reboot (If Ubuntu has the same tools when it comes to the screen where it says BOOT: try some variants on ..linux 2...init 2... ubuntu 2.. and see if it gives you a menu including cfdisk.. you may get a prompt like

live@ubuntu

When you have killed everything install again but choose the first option instead and just let it go...
    Worked fine for me the second time... all I can come up with is that there was something left lurking on the drive from the previous suse 9 server that was installed on the drive..

Hope that is helpful.. I'm a n00b too.. First day online with linux..

Just Joined!

janrocks, in my Newbie opinion, you are onto something ...

Grabbed a copy of "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" by Keir Thomas about a week ago. Read the ~25 page introduction a couple of times. Loaded the enclosed Ubuntu 5.10 disk and followed the default prompts. "ubuntu" for hostname,'50%' for partition space and so on. When the installation program froze, as indicated in the second page (pg 49) of the Chapter "Solving Installation Problems" I typed at the boot prompt:

Linux acpi=off

And pressed Enter.

Up and running. Web activity, word processor. Learning the desktop, updates, starting to use command line, firestarter and so on. No problems. When I do mess up I'll start another session ...

Appears to me the preparation that went into this distribution was considerable. I'm not one to promote a book or distribution. But when this newbie is up and running a operating system with such scope and power, with very, very little preparation on my part, I have to applaud.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast