Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried numerous Ubuntu XGL tutorials, and I think I'm following them correctly. Although they have slightly different instructions, I keep getting stuck at the end of the instructions at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help! Compiz/Xgl

I've tried numerous Ubuntu XGL tutorials, and I think I'm following them correctly. Although they have slightly different instructions, I keep getting stuck at the end of the instructions at the same step, starting compiz with its plugins.

I think I have Xgl running, but when compiz loads it has no window decorations. But then I try to start gnome-window-decorator, there's still no window borders.

What I type:
    Code:
    $ compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switchcompiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switcher
    The error I get:
    Code:
    compiz.real: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
    compiz.real: Failed to manage screen: 0
    compiz.real: No managable screens found on display :0.0
    Then I start gnome-window-decorator and nothing happens. I restart gdm and try again.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to solve this problem? I'm not sure I can go any longer without Compiz/Xgl.

You might wanna take a look over at the Ubuntu forums. They have a number of HowTo's for different video cards and computer architectures. Maybe one of these will help you out.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=XGL+compiz

This tutorial was badass, highly recommended:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Xgl-Compiz-Dapper

One note:

I created a link for my xsession called GNOME Xgl and another called KDE Xgl because I'm running both, and I also made two sets of shell scripts instead of one (i.e. startxgl-gnome.sh and startxgl-kde.sh). Use the command "exec startkde" instead of "exec gnome-session" for the KDE version of the script.

Looks good, nice find. I'll give it a shot when I get the time.