Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by xCampxKillxYourselfx Yeah, thing is.. I'm running 85Hz on Windows atm, but on Ubuntu, the only option is 60Hz, on 1024x768 (which is also the resolution I'm currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by xCampxKillxYourselfx
    Yeah, thing is.. I'm running 85Hz on Windows atm, but on Ubuntu, the only option is 60Hz, on 1024x768 (which is also the resolution I'm currently using with Windows.)
    This can be changed by editing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I'm not sure exactly where the refresh rate is changed, but you can change the resolution toward the bottom. There should be a section called "Display" that looks something like this:

Code:
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1024x768"
            ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubsection
    The "Modes" line is the one you're interested in. To add more resolution options, simply add on to the "Modes" line, like so:

Code:
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       16
            Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubsection
    Your GUI will try the first resolution on the list, and if it can't be displayed it will go down the list from left to right until it finds one it can use, so order them by the priority you want.

On the topic of the refresh rate, the section you might look at is here:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "MyMonitor"
        HorizSync   31.5 - 82.0
        VertRefresh 50-100
    EndSection
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

As techieMoe said, you cannot change the Hz directly (well you sort of can, but you need /etc/X11/xorg.conf to be set up properly first).

Check out your exact monitor specs according to the manufacturers info and fill the "monitor" section of xorg.conf, as instructed by techieMoe. You then have to restart the X server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.

Then you will be able to change the Hz in Gnome/KDE.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2