Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently I have WinXP and Ubuntu installed in my computer. After installing and deleting various Linux distros, My alloted Windows XP GB space is at 56 GB out of 150 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Increasing the size of my NTFS drive in Ubuntu

Currently I have WinXP and Ubuntu installed in my computer. After installing and deleting various Linux distros, My alloted Windows XP GB space is at 56 GB out of 150 (without linux installed). Linux currently takes up 30 GB on my computer. How can I, in Ubuntu, increase the size of my Windows partition to make use of the extra space on my computer's hard drive that is currently inaccessible and unused by both Windows and Linux?

So this is free space that physically lies between Windows and Ubuntu?

First I'm going to assume that your Windows partition is /dev/hda1. To be sure, type
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    in the terminal.

You have to unmount your Windows partition:
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/hda1
    Then install GParted
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gksu gparted ntfsprogs
    Then run it
    Code:
    gksudo gparted
    Resize the Windows partition. Save the changes.

Linux User
    I've got the program installed, but on the program, I've got "unallocated space" in which 79,000 MB exists, and my NTFS partition has a maximum value that I cannot increase anymore. How can I make that "unallocated space" revert back to free space for my NTFS drive to utilize? How can I increase the maximum number of MB my NTFS partition can allow?

Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    I've got the program installed, but on the program, I've got "unallocated space" in which 79,000 MB exists, and my NTFS partition has a maximum value that I cannot increase anymore. How can I make that "unallocated space" revert back to free space for my NTFS drive to utilize? How can I increase the maximum number of MB my NTFS partition can allow?
    If the unallocated space is next to and directly to the rigth of the NTFS partition, theoretically you can expand the NTFS partition to include that space.

That said, sometimes GParted and QTParted are a little buggy in terms of greying out or disabling options that should exist.

The most reliable partitioner I've found is DiskDrake. It comes with Mandriva and PCLinuxOS. I know that entails downloading an entirely new distribution, but I'm so glad I did that just for DiskDrake, even though I use Ubuntu and neither Mandriva nor PCLinuxOS as my main OS.