Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding pure-ftpd on an ubuntu box. I recently installed pure-ftp and it works, but only for DOS and shell ftp commands - it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pure-ftpd on ubuntu 5.10

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding pure-ftpd on an ubuntu box. I recently installed pure-ftp and it works, but only for DOS and shell ftp commands - it does not work for either Internet Explorer on XP or Firefox on Linux. I am using the default settings, in fact I haven't even edited the .conf file. I was just wondering if you guys could just tell me what the issue is before I jump into the .conf file and tear things up, maybe you could just tell me what i'm looking for.

Also, it works on both my local IP, and my 'global' IP. Hope I was clear enough.

Just Joined!

Problem solved

I found my answer somewhere else, it is something I never knew about ftp from a browser so I thought I should post the solution for those of you who are wondering.

Web browsers assume anonymous access where command line automatically prompts you for a username and password before it officially connects you. Anonymous access is disallowed on my ftpd so the user will have to enter his/her username in the address bar. Ex. user@555.555.555.555 and then the user will be prompted for that password.

But I have run across another problem with firefox, it gives me an index of my ftpd and not a folder view and i'm not sure how to upload/create folders from firefox.

Let me know if you guys know a solution to this problem.