Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I had a lot of trouble getting it to work, with the same errors you have. I went into BIOS and made the windows drive the first boot drive, then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I had a lot of trouble getting it to work, with the same errors you have. I went into BIOS and made the windows drive the first boot drive, then installed Ubuntu on another drive, so that GRUB was written to the MBR on the Windows drive. It then worked fine. However, it sounds like you have both OSs on the same drive, so I'm not sure about that.

One thing's for sure, Windows likes being number one in whatever happens, so maybe you can change the partitioning so that the extended partition is the first boot partition or something.

Just Joined!
    So I got fed up with this whole thing and repartitioned the whole drive.

Windows ended up on the first partition and everything worked without a hitch. The Ubuntu installer detected it and added it to the GRUB menu nicely.

I couldn't make it work any other way.

Just Joined!
    Congrats. I guarantee you it was Windows that was the problem, but we can't do anything about that.

Just Joined!
    I know there is a way to fix this with grub. I've booted windows off all types of partitions, on multiple drives. The key is definately the map command to re-map the drive layouts. You really have to understand your drive partition layout.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    This will tell you exactly what your partitions are and you should be able to quickly identify where your windows partition is.

Then, using the map command, remap the windows partition to hd0,0. That means in English-- first hard drive, first partition. Now, you want to boot that partition!

Code:
    title DOS Boot Disk
    	map (hd0,0) (hd0,4)
    	map (hd0,4) (hd0,0)
            rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    	chainloader +1
    This should work, although rootnoverify (hd0,4) is questionable. The two map commands essentially swap these two partitions. So if you are trying to boot your extended XP partition at hd0,4 you would want to first map it to hd0,0 then boot to hd0,0.

Try this instead:

Code:
    title DOS Boot Disk
    	map (hd0,0) (hd0,4)
    	map (hd0,4) (hd0,0)
            rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    	chainloader +1
    Yes it will take some work, but understanding the exact commands helps greatly, as you can then tweak things to get it just right. Trust me, it works, I've booted XP off the 5th drive on the third partition using this trick. Even Vista works using this method!

i am sure rootnoverify (hd0,0) wont work coz even after mapping partitions, one must pass actual partition number to rootnoverify function.
    we need output of fdisk -l command to check partition structure. there must be something wrong in partition number details in grub.conf file.

this thread is old and OP has sorted out problem. no need to discuss it now.
    Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2