Find the answer to your Linux question:
what are the differences between edubuntu, ubuntu, and xubuntu?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xubuntu/ubuntu/edubuntu

what are the differences between edubuntu, ubuntu, and xubuntu?

Ubuntu was the first which all the others are based. Xubuntu is the same except uses the XFCE desktop environment rather that Gnome - standard with regular Ubuntu. Edubuntu is a special version used for... you guest it - educational purposes...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    oh, and here i thought it was something important

Just Joined!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Ubuntu was the first which all the others are based. Xubuntu is the same except uses the XFCE desktop environment rather that Gnome - standard with regular Ubuntu. Edubuntu is a special version used for... you guest it - educational purposes...
    So in essence are you saying that ubuntu and edubuntu is the same and that there has just been a change in name only?? I find that a little hard to comprehend.....?

No there is a different default package selection which is tailored for educational apps. If you install any version of Ubuntu I believe you can install the other desktop selections. apt get install edubuntu-desktop maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_lover
    So in essence are you saying that ubuntu and edubuntu is the same and that there has just been a change in name only?? I find that a little hard to comprehend.....?
    Maybe because you didn't try hard enough to "comprehend" what I wrote:
    Edubuntu is a special version used for educational purposes...
    Where in that statement were you led to believe I said Ubuntu and Edubuntu are the same except for the name difference?

From the Edubuntu website:
    "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". The Edubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to schools, through its customised school environment. The current version of Edubuntu is aimed at classroom use, and future versions of Edubuntu will expand to other educational usage, such as university use.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

IO3

Answer

The differences between all of them are the user interface. The base system are the
    same. Ubuntu uses GNOME, Kubuntu uses KDE, Xubuntu uses Xfce, and Edubuntu
    uses GNOME exept that Edubuntu is for educational uses.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    All of these are interconvertible amongst each other as their base system is same. Just install KDE and Ubuntu becomes kubuntu and if you can get some educational tools (listed on edubuntu.org) and install them by yourself then it becomes edubuntu. What is the harm in trying them all?
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

The only difference that I noticed between all of them are dependencies. When installing KDE with Ubuntu it also installs some unnecessary gnome components and vice-versa with Kubuntu and gnome. Xubuntu installs some base components for both KDE and Gnome but overall is significantly lower than either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I prefer XCFE above either Gnome or KDE but I need the support for Ubuntu server so I'm stuck with using Gnome (resource issues). With Edubuntu I guess the support is focused on a specific market instead of desktop preference, I guess an attempt to attract the youth market to experience Linux in a friendly environment. At least that's the way I see it. Other than that there's really no real difference other than specialized support for each specific desktop.