Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a noob... Decided to put Linux on my online PC, but I'm a bit disabled so my monitor is a Viewsonic 550 LCD -- suspended over my bed. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

List of supported video cards, monitors?

Hi, I'm a noob... Decided to put Linux on my online PC, but I'm a bit disabled so my monitor is a Viewsonic 550 LCD -- suspended over my bed. (Can't do that with a CRT! )

Also, I don't have a tv, so I've just started watching DVDs on this PC. In order to make that work, I had to replace the nVidia card (with a Jaton Pro 97). The information on XFree86 (is this a necessary part of a distro? ) does not list this as a supported card.

Help, please?

Quote Originally Posted by techwatcher
    my monitor is a Viewsonic 550 LCD
    What is the exact model of the monitor? Anyway I don't think it should be a problem, unless it is very new.

Quote Originally Posted by techwatcher
    I had to replace the nVidia card (with a Jaton Pro 97).
    If I am not mistaking, this card should work with the "trident" driver, as the chipset on it is called "trident 9880". Pretty old card anyway, should work by default.

Which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? 5.10 (Breezy)?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    The monitor is Viewsonic VA550 (purchased around 2002), and the card is (presumably) from 1997... So good! Thanks.

P.S. Haven't downloaded yet, let alone started installing! I'm still in the reading & research stage. Is 5.10 good? Just read somewhere the next version is 'unstable' and should be released as a stable install next month (June).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm baffled why you should have to downgrade a graphics card to watch DVDs, I think that Ubuntu would allow you to use the nvidia and it uses xorg anyway
    It would be better if you downloaded the live CD to see that it works with all your hardware, before trying to install it.
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360