Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm wondering why just about everytime i update using the update manager it says i have to restart my computer. isn't one of the great features of linux the fact ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what's with all the restarts?

i'm wondering why just about everytime i update using the update manager it says i have to restart my computer.

isn't one of the great features of linux the fact that you don't have to restart unless you update the kernel?

is this just a testing bug for ubuntu 6.06? or is it permanent?

anyone have any opinions or information on this?

I haven't run Dapper yet but I believe the only thing you should be rebooting for is a kernel upgrade. Have you had to reboot for anything other than kernel upgrades?

I don't use Ubuntu, but the only thing I can think of is that you upgraded something that will need to restart before working. So, Ubuntu decided it was easier just to say, "restart your computer" than to say, "restart X" or "restart apache".

Quote Originally Posted by cenzorrll
    is this just a testing bug for ubuntu 6.06? or is it permanent?

anyone have any opinions or information on this?
    this is beta software! it is not ready for general use!

Ubuntu 5.10 is the current version and Dapper will be a significant move forward but don't think you won't have to reboot quite a lot for the time being
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Just Joined!
    I've been on Dapper beta for about a week, and only had the "requires restart" notification twice, and only after installing newer kernels. Besides, it doesn't take that long to reboot does it? Also, it might be considered "beta", but I haven't run into any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by luke_z3
    I've been on Dapper beta for about a week, and only had the "requires restart" notification twice, and only after installing newer kernels. Besides, it doesn't take that long to reboot does it? Also, it might be considered "beta", but I haven't run into any problems.
    All I can say is you're lucky I've had a couple of lockups and one instance of several things breaking but these generated bug reports which have been passed on to the development team
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

And even then, you dont HAVE to restart... only if you want to use the newer kernel
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    And even then, you dont HAVE to restart... only if you want to use the newer kernel
    True, you don't have to restart...but then you wouldn't be testing the latest development of the Ubuntu-packaged kernel. Perhaps there could be a kernel-switcher that can change the active kernel without a reboot (and without virtual machines) --- that would be cool. There probably already is one that I just don't know about.

And for being lucky, well.... why haven't I won the lottery yet?

TPerhaps there could be a kernel-switcher that can change the active kernel without a reboot (and without virtual machines) --- that would be cool. There probably already is one that I just don't know about.

And for being lucky, well.... why haven't I won the lottery yet?
    There already is, though i cannot remember what it's called!!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327