Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just making sure of everything...I have one hard drive. I hae the boot disk for ubuntu 5.10, and everything should be on there correct? I pop in the cd, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing

Just making sure of everything...I have one hard drive. I hae the boot disk for ubuntu 5.10, and everything should be on there correct? I pop in the cd, it will load ubuntu. Follow the onscreen instructions and it will partition the space FOR ME. So, i dont have to worry about partitioning. And i hear if you partition you lose everything on your computer. So how do i make a back up. and if i do lose everything then wouldnt i lose the installation of windows?????? so therefore i would have to reinstall windows. Anyways the boot disk has the GRUB i believe its called. Which allows me to choose which i would like to boot up (xp or ubuntu) correct??? and i should be good to go from there? right?

-dauoalagio

Quote Originally Posted by Dauoalagio
    Just making sure of everything...I have one hard drive. I hae the boot disk for ubuntu 5.10, and everything should be on there correct? I pop in the cd, it will load ubuntu. Follow the onscreen instructions and it will partition the space FOR ME. So, i dont have to worry about partitioning. And i hear if you partition you lose everything on your computer.
    Ubuntu can resize your windows partition, so it will make space to install itself at the end of the hard drive.

But of course, as mistakes appends so easily, you should make a backup of your important files first. Use your CD burner or a USB key for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauoalagio
    Anyways the boot disk has the GRUB i believe its called. Which allows me to choose which i would like to boot up (xp or ubuntu) correct??? and i should be good to go from there? right?
    Yop, by default Ubuntu will configure GRUB for you.

More about "dual-booting" Windows and Ubuntu here:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close