Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all...hello to everyone... I'm new to Linux but have been working as a network manager of a very large Windows network for the last 7 years. However, I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newb - Needing install help

First of all...hello to everyone...

I'm new to Linux but have been working as a network manager of a very large Windows network for the last 7 years. However, I'm really struggling with installing Ubuntu....first, my system specs:

AMD 64 3400+
    1Gb RAM
    MSI Motherboard
    2 x 120Gb SATA Drives running via Nvidia chipset
    Geforce 6800

I have attempted to install Ubuntu about 20 times and everytime, regardless of what I attempt I am getting a similar message, as follows:

Unable to install selected Kernal.
    An error occurred while trying to install the select kernal on to the target system:
    Kernal Package : 'linux-386'

I've tried the LiveCD and that all runs up fine apart from the graphics arent 100%...but it is usable. The graphics is just a driver issue.

Any help would be appreciated......

Just Joined!
    I'm a fool....answer in the question...its an AMD 64!!!!!!! Need the 64 bit version....DOH!

Umm nope. You don't NEED the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version should install without any prob on a 64 bit machine (thousands of users are running 32 bit linux on 64 bit machines).

The main question that I have is: Was that CD burned by yourself? If yes, then it was probably a bad burn. The read problem for the i386 kernel package suggests this. Try reburning at a significantly lower speed and use good quality media. And make sure that the CD-drive has some clean lenses (dirty lenses are also a very typical reason for such errors).

Anyway, good luck
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984