Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i've been tinkering with Linux for a couple months now, first distro i tried was debian, when when i tried to upgrade KDE to 3.5 gave me a mess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

umm, just a little help here please..

Ok, i've been tinkering with Linux for a couple months now, first distro i tried was debian, when when i tried to upgrade KDE to 3.5 gave me a mess of problems in konqueror.. so i downloaded a distro that came with a newer version od kde, namely kubuntu. Now i'm having some issues i managed to get resolved in debian before but i cannot get them resolved in here, here a little list.

Locking my ip address - when i try to do this in the KDE control panel, i loost all network access until i set it bach to dhcp (which i don't want to do, makes it hard to serve that way)

Getting Limewire (latest from website) working - I've tried the rpm and alien'd it, and also tried the "other" version, both result in an "error on line 44" message.

The arts control applet for KDE - I get an error saying it's not installed, yet isn't arts the KDE sound engine and me getting sound in KDE should be a good sign arts is working?

Other issues are trivial, like amarok not showing my files which isn't a problem since i mostly use either xine for things, or xmms. amarok's just easier fot the computer-illiterates that use my computer. and for some silly reason KSysGuard shows no monitors and no processes (makes it a little tricky to kill a dead process) but not a big deal i suppose.

Anyways, any help anyone could give me on any of this would be appreciated, i'm almost considering just spendin the time downloadin the whole cd-set for Fedora or Redhat lol, maybe i won't get issues with those distros, but c'est la vive, such is the way of open-source.

Just Joined!

alrighty

Well, lots of people have viewed this thread, none have replied, interesting, i hope my questions arent too newb for anyone to deal with, i'd still appreciate any help i could get, mostly i'd just be happy getting my ip address locked down for my router so i can get apache working again and keep my site running.

Quote Originally Posted by cybervirus
    Locking my ip address - when i try to do this in the KDE control panel, i loost all network access until i set it bach to dhcp (which i don't want to do, makes it hard to serve that way)
    If you are referring to the /etc/resolv.conf file you want to stop from changing, launch
    sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
    or hack the dhclient-script. Those are the two alternatives. Hacking the dhclient script is - of course - more difficult, as you can screw up things if you don't know what to change. If it is your normal internet-settings, (ifconfig-eth0), then you need to change the file, so it is set correctly for static IP. At the same time, you have to assign the computer a static IP in the router/modem you use. If you use DHCP on one device and Static on another, you will break the network connection.
    Getting Limewire (latest from website) working - I've tried the rpm and alien'd it, and also tried the "other" version, both result in an "error on line 44" message.
    First of all, use a limewire version that works on your box. Use apt-get/synaptic for installing it. If you want to install the latest, grab the sources and compile them against your machine. You will have to install the build-essentials package for this in K/Ubuntu. Furthermore you need to keep in mind that K/Ubuntu is debian based, thus it uses .deb packages. rpms are useless on that distro and won't work. If you get errors while compiling, post the error messages you get in detail here. If you tell us that "an error occured in line 44", it doesn't help us at all, as we need the info that is before that error pops up and the lines after it. And we need to know what is written in line 44 of that particular script that bombs out. Otherwise, troubleshooting is impossible.
    The arts control applet for KDE - I get an error saying it's not installed, yet isn't arts the KDE sound engine and me getting sound in KDE should be a good sign arts is working?
    As long as you get sound ignore that. Maybe your system uses alsa or oss... dunno. I don't use Ubuntu, nor do I use KDE.
    ...and for some silly reason KSysGuard shows no monitors and no processes (makes it a little tricky to kill a dead process) but not a big deal i suppose.
    If you want to see all processes and kill some, open a terminal and type "top". It will list all running processes with memory and cpu consumption. Press ctrl+c for stopping "top". Type "kill <PID-number>" for killing processes you want to get rid of temporarily.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close