Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, i've decided to run duel os on my ms comp. I know i need to back up my files repartition and then install ubuntu. This is what i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

please help !!!!

hey guys, i've decided to run duel os on my ms comp. I know i need to back up my files repartition and then install ubuntu. This is what i need to know..
    1) my comp keeps saying the disk is corrupt or there is no disk in the drive every time i try to backup my settings and files. Why? i really need to know. Im using a maxell cd-r ..is that the problem.
    2) how do i partition my drive. do you know where i can get a free good program and how would i work the prog?
    3) do i install ubuntu just like a regular program(i burnt it on a disk.so do i just go 2 my computer and select the drive and install or do i do it somehow b4 boot)
    As you have guessed i am a NEWBY, ive heard linux is the way to go so please help

Quote Originally Posted by w0rd
    1) my comp keeps saying the disk is corrupt or there is no disk in the drive every time i try to backup my settings and files. Why? i really need to know. Im using a maxell cd-r ..is that the problem.
    The way you say that suggests that you're using the same CD-R each time - if so, your computer may be telling the truth: it may be corrupt, so trying another could solve the problem.

2) how do i partition my drive. do you know where i can get a free good program and how would i work the prog?
    Personally I wouldn't worry about partitioning in advance: almost all linux distribution installers have a partitioning stage included, so it should take care of things for you.

3) do i install ubuntu just like a regular program(i burnt it on a disk.so do i just go 2 my computer and select the drive and install or do i do it somehow b4 boot)
    If you restart with the CD in the drive, the computer will probably boot from the CD (instead of booting from the hard drive which would start windows). If it does that the installer will be run, and things are fairly straightforward from there. If not, it's only slightly more complicated: you'll need to enter your BIOS and change the boot settings so that the computer tries to boot from CD before hard drive.

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Are you sure you want to install it? Have you used the live CD to see if you like it and if your hardware likes Ubuntu? I would use the live CD for at least a week before installing Ubuntu.

How to partition:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning.html

Installing a dual-boot in Breezy (between now and June 1):
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone

Installing a dual-boot in Dapper (June 1 and beyond):
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/windowstoubuntu.html

Please read all three links before doing anything to your computer, regardless of whether you're using Dapper or Breezy.