Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, guys, here's the deal. I am a novice Linux user. In the Windows side of my life <<<shiver>>>, I'm a Domain Admin, used to running a Windows network. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with installs

Ok, guys, here's the deal.

I am a novice Linux user. In the Windows side of my life <<<shiver>>>, I'm a Domain Admin, used to running a Windows network. I'm learning Linux, and am starting to feel comfortable with it. Currently using Kubuntu. Here's my question...

I am trying to install software (.tar.gz and .tar.bz2) using command line. Have done the following:

-Extracted archives (using "tar" command).

- I want to configure, make, and then make install to finish install proccess.

When I type ./configure, it tells me there is no file or directory.

Help please.

Thanks,

Hohua

It may be that you're not actually in the directory of the extracted files:
    for example, if there was a program called foo, and you downloaded foo.tar.gz, extracting it with
    Code:
    tar -xvzf foo.tar.gz
    would create a folder called foo in your current directory. You'd then need to change to that folder using
    Code:
    cd foo
    before you could run ./configure

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Most of the time you won't need to do a ./configure to install software.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by hohua
    - I want to configure, make, and then make install to finish install proccess.

When I type ./configure, it tells me there is no file or directory.
    It could happen that certain software has special shell scripts instead of classic configure/make/make install approach. configure/make/make install is widely used, and most sources could be compiled that way, but it could be runInstaller, go, install, setup whatever. Look for appropriate shell scripts in extracted directory.

Some notes about what configure/make/make install are. This information could be usefull though poster didn't ask for it.

configure - is a shell script that is used for determining sw/hw types, parameters, looking for required packages, determining compiler options and etc. and finally creating other file, called "Makefile", which actually contains rules for compiling sources. In other words, configure examines system and prepares "Makefile".

make - when you run make command without arguments it looks for Makefile in current dir and runs it to compile sources.

make install - copies compiled binaries to installation directories. Install dir could be determined among many other options when performing ./configure. To see list of possible options run ./configure --help.

make uninstall - in some cases software distributor could think of preparing uninstall script. In that case running make command in this manner will remove previously copied binaries.

make clean - you might want to delete binaries, after you have copied them to install dir. This will delete binaries and results of previous ./configure operation.