Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
If it's any consolation, I also had problems with this device and ndiswrapper. I'd get a connection but it would just freeze for no apparant reason. Ndiswrapper is the best ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If it's any consolation, I also had problems with this device and ndiswrapper. I'd get a connection but it would just freeze for no apparant reason. Ndiswrapper is the best thing since sliced bread but it's far from perfect, and works with varying degrees of success with the various wireless devices. Do you know whether yours has the Ralink chipset? If so, Ralink makes Linux drivers without having to use Ndiswrapper. Mine's working really well right now with the Ralink chipset. I'd be glad to assist with that if you can't get it working with Ndiswrapper.

EDIT: Don't know if this will help, but mine was configured as wlan0 rather that eth*. Maybe reconfigure using wlan0? Might be worth a try at least.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 06-05-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I'm not using ndiswrapper, it selected eth2 as my wireless USB Adapter I didn't had to do anything.
    I'll try using Ndiswrapper and see if that works.
    But I never got wlan0 before, I even don't got any idea how to change from eth2 to wlan0.
    I edited /etc/network/interfaces once and it screwed up my network.
    Also I got no idea what a Ralink Chipset is or even if I got it.

Dapper Dan, I'm really gratefull that you're willing to help me with this ^.^

Thanks,
    ~Remy

OK, let's back up a minute... From the screens you provided, it says your adapter is 802.11b, but your adapter is 802.11g right? And your Linksys router is 802.11g? I don't know about Ubuntu's driver base but I'm wondering if it has installed drivers for your device for 'b' rather than 'g.' Let's see which drivers are being loaded...
    Code:
    /sbin/lsmod
    Can you show us the output here?

Just Joined!
    Starts Here:

Just Joined!

Ends here.

I'm not seeing rt2570 or anything close, nor am I seeing ndiswrapper so I'm not sure what it's loading. Whatever it is, it seems to be trying to give you an 802.11b service. Hmmm... Look in your Linksys router under Wireless/Basic Wireless settings/Wireless Network Mode: is it set to 'B-Only,' 'G-Only' or 'Mixed?' If to 'G-Only,' change it to 'Mixed' and see if you can get a connection through 802.11b. If you can, that at least might get you connected which would be a big advantage when configuring for 802.11g. If not, then I think your next step is to install the Ralink rt2570. Do you know if Ubuntu comes with ndiswrapper pre-installed? Some distros do, some don't.

Please note I do not use Ubuntu so I don't know how they do things. There might be something going on with your device and Ubuntu that I'm not aware of...

Just Joined!
    First of, I can't access my router parents won't allow me.

I only got ndiswrapper-utils installed that's all.
    It comes pre-installed with Dapper Drake 6.06 Ubuntu.
    But I'll try using Ralink or whatever it's called.

I'll find a way to do it.
    If not, I will give up.

The Ralink drivers are not that hard to install but you will need to install your kernel sources in order to build it. I would think there would be plenty on the net about installing sources for Ubuntu. Once you get that done, these posts should be very helpful in getting it installed. Here are some more. Your adapter is a version 4 right?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for helping me.
    But nothing worked.

Imma give up.
    I'm gratefull for your help.

~Remy

Sorry to hear it because you could have gotten it up and going. I use my WUSB54G just like yours every single day so it will work with the Ralink drivers. Once installed, I think you could have had it on the internet with the Ubuntu network utility in a matter of minutes...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast