Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all I've just upgraded from breezy to dapper yesterday, and occationally I get distortions in the screen that makes it impossible for me to use the computer (wich is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

graphical distortion in ubuntu dapper

hello all

I've just upgraded from breezy to dapper yesterday, and occationally I get distortions in the screen that makes it impossible for me to use the computer (wich is bad since im not familiar with the console). I heard that dapper uses XORG instead of X11 in breezy, and therefore wonder if i can "downgrade" to it somehow? Im running ATI radeon mobility 9000 and i heard that causes some issues too...

Also, is there a "system restore" feature in ubuntu? I like to try new things and that can screew things up, and it saved me many times when i used XP.

I hope I can get more help here than at the linux channel i was on earlier today

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot
    I've just upgraded from breezy to dapper yesterday, and occationally I get distortions in the screen that makes it impossible for me to use the computer (wich is bad since im not familiar with the console). I heard that dapper uses XORG instead of X11 in breezy, and therefore wonder if i can "downgrade" to it somehow?
    This is more than likely not what's causing your problem. I wouldn't worry about it. X.org and XFree86 are both "X11", and both projects share some of the same code (it's a long, complicated story), so if you're having trouble with X.org, you're likely to have the same problem in XFree86.

Im running ATI radeon mobility 9000 and i heard that causes some issues too...
    This is more than likely your problem. I would try installing the official ATI drivers for this card.

Also, is there a "system restore" feature in ubuntu? I like to try new things and that can screew things up, and it saved me many times when i used XP.
    I'm pretty sure there is, but I'll let someone more familiar with Ubuntu direct you about that.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    This is more than likely your problem. I would try installing the official ATI drivers for this card.

When I checked the graphics card in systeminfo, it ran "Ati radeon (flgrx)", is that the official drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot
    When I checked the graphics card in systeminfo, it ran "Ati radeon (flgrx)", is that the official drivers?
    That is indeed the correct module. Hmm.. Stick around, perhaps someone else will have another idea.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants