Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an HP Pavilion dv4000 and I am trying to set up my wifi. I have gone to the network set up but the drivers are not listed as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with wifi setup

I have an HP Pavilion dv4000 and I am trying to set up my wifi. I have gone to the network set up but the drivers are not listed as a choice. I am new to linux and really wish to get rid of windows. Please help me set this up.

When I did the "lspci" command the network controller is intel corporation pro/wireless 2200bg. Hope this helps. I am also trying to set up the usb controllers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rreyes3000
    When I did the "lspci" command the network controller is intel corporation pro/wireless 2200bg.
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Also, which kernel?

To get IPW2200 working, you have to copy the firmware in the /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ directory. Which firmware version depends of the IPW2200 driver version you are using.
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

Please post more details about your kernel
    Code:
    uname -a
    if you want more detailed help.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Well . . .I have just installed it this weekend when the new version came out. When I enter the "uname -a" command I get "utc 2006 i6 86 GNU/LINUX". It is the 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake. I hope this is the answer to you question.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rreyes3000
    "uname -a" command I get "utc 2006 i6 86 GNU/LINUX". It is the 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake. I hope this is the answer to you question.
    You should more likely get something like that:
    Code:
    Linux ubuntu 2.6.15-23-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 23 14:03:07 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
    out of the
    Code:
    uname -a
    command.

The default 2.6.15 kernel IPW2200 driver's version is 1.08. Therefore you should install the 2.4 version of the IPW2200 firmware.

You can do it like that:

1) Download firmware version 2.4 from here:
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
    Be careful, any other firmware version will simply not work.

2) Once downloaded, you can extract it (in the terminal):
    Code:
    tar zxf /path/to/ipw2200-fw-2.4.tgz
    of course change /path/to with the real path to the file.

3) Then move the files to the rightful directory:
    Code:
    mv *.fw LICENSE /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
    4) Reboot the computer.

5) Make sure everything went well by looking at the output of
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i ipw2200
    for any error messages.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I was a bit confussed with step 2 as suggested. I was not sure what the path is. I had downloaded the package onto the desktop and looked at the dir source under the properties and it is /home/rreyes3000/Desktop. I also was not sure if I should include the /to/ portion so I tried various combonations. I received the following messege:

tar: /home/rreyes3000/desktop/to/: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: ipw2200-fw-2.4.tgz: Not found in archive
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

When I double clicked the package and attempted to extract it I was unable to fine the firmware folder under hotplug. I did find it under /lib/ , however but the extraction was not accepted.