Find the answer to your Linux question:
After trying to install Ubuntu I am now getting a Grub loader error " Stage 1.5, error21". I cannot get into my windows XP now at all or get beyond ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie wishing he hadnt

After trying to install Ubuntu I am now getting a Grub loader error " Stage 1.5, error21". I cannot get into my windows XP now at all or get beyond this stage?

I used an external (formatted)hard drive and attempted to install ubuntu 5.10 on it. i already have (had??!) win XP on a desktop pc and i thought that avoiding resizing or meddling with the internal Hard disk partitions would be safer. However i never took into account Grub being installed in the Mbr of the windows disk? Now grub comes back with this error?

have searched the forums and come to the conclusion that FixMbr from the windows recovery console is a choice. However would trying to install ubuntu to the internal hd also be possible? i.e. resize the hopefully untouched windows partition and make room for ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by ordel
    Grub loader error " Stage 1.5, error21"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub Manual
    21 : "Unknown boot failure"

This error is returned if the boot attempt did not succeed for reasons which are unknown.
    That doesn't help much. But probably GRUB is pointing to a hard drive number that doesn't exist.

have searched the forums and come to the conclusion that FixMbr from the windows recovery console is a choice.
    Yes, you can do that, it would work.

However would trying to install ubuntu to the internal hd also be possible? i.e. resize the hopefully untouched windows partition and make room for ubuntu?
    Windows partition should be untouched. Apparently Ubuntu didn't handle very well this external hard drive installation. Don't you have room on your internal hard drive for it?

I suggest you fixmbr, boot in Windows, do some backup, and then install Ubuntu on your internal hard drive (if you still want to).

Which version of Ubuntu were you trying?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Thank you

I was trying ubuntu 5.10.

Fixmbr seems to be the the good option so, it was just that using the windows recovery option in the installation cd i could get into a dos prompt and still access or at least 'see' some of the files that were on my local disk. This gave me some hope that i could recover my windows install, but my fear is doing more damage and getting to the point of no return?

Thank you for your advice though.