Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new here and I've been working with Linux for 3 months (Ubuntu being the only flavour). This is my first post, so hello to all. I heard that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving to a specific kernel image - any benefits?

I am new here and I've been working with Linux for 3 months (Ubuntu being the only flavour). This is my first post, so hello to all.

I heard that moving to a specific kernel package might improve the overall performance of the system.

Is it true? Is this recommended? How do I do it?

My PC currently has a 750 mHz Athlon processor and is running Breezy, with the 386 kernel image installed by default. Are there any benefits for me if I move to the K7 kernel? Is it possible to install the kernel as simple as a .deb file or I need to (re)compile it ?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by zugu
    Are there any benefits for me if I move to the K7 kernel? Is it possible to install the kernel as simple as a .deb file or I need to (re)compile it ?
    Probably no noticable performance benefits. But you can try it.

Something like
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-k7
    Should get you installed the kernel, and the required modules along. It will keep your existing kernel, and you'll have the choice to boot one or the other in the GRUB menu.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the answer.

One thing will sure get you some noticeable performances gain : upgrading from Breezy to Dapper.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee