Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've just installed kubuntu but it don't see the presence of windows.. what can i do for can select windows for run it??...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question grub HELP

i've just installed kubuntu but it don't see the presence of windows.. what can i do for
    can select windows for run it??

Just Joined!

did u overwrite windows?

Before you do anything else I would check to see whether you installed over the top of windows. If you have, then forget about running it, you'll have to reinstall it.

To check if windows is there you can try running a live cd like Knoppix and looking for your windows partition, or you can try the kubuntu live cd and look there. I'm not familiar with the other tools kubuntu has to find a windows partition, however i know in ubuntu you can use GParted to look at what partitions you have. If the above methods don't help you, install gparted in a console by typing:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    Then open the program from the menu, and look for your windows partition.

If windows is infact still there, it might not have been added to the menu for grub.

If this is the case type the following in a console to edit the menu of grub
    Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Try adding the following lines to your menu.lst file.

Code:
    title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root		(hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader	+1
    If you couldn't find window, then most likely it was overwritten when you installed kubuntu, probably because you didn't repartition your drive at the right step or something.

Anway, post back with what you find and I'll try and help you from there.

Just Joined!
    Try the above stuff and also:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    You should be able to tell from the partition list if there is still an NTFS partition there.

If you've installed both OSs on the same drive, and Windows is not the first partition, you may be out of luck. Windows is very picky, and may not start unless it's the first drive and first partition.