Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I just got Ubuntu up and running today, my 2nd real attempt to actually using linux... Anyway, ive been having some problems getting the nvidia package installed. i got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation nVidia package woes

So I just got Ubuntu up and running today, my 2nd real attempt to actually using linux... Anyway, ive been having some problems getting the nvidia package installed. i got the file from nvidia's site, the 8762 package. tried installing it at first and it said i had to be in root. so i spent a good deal of time trying to get into root, as ubuntu has been made so failsafe *ugh*. now, it's telling me that i cannot install it while X is running. so, from my previous experience, i thought i could just do the ole' CTRL-ALT-Backspace. But noooooo, gnome + X just has to run. I can't seem to get this damn thing running! all i want is some 1680x1050 resolution and then hopefully get xgl working!!!

Any help please!?!

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by caustik_bt
    So I just got Ubuntu up and running today, my 2nd real attempt to actually using linux... Anyway, ive been having some problems getting the nvidia package installed. i got the file from nvidia's site, the 8762 package. tried installing it at first and it said i had to be in root. so i spent a good deal of time trying to get into root, as ubuntu has been made so failsafe *ugh*. now, it's telling me that i cannot install it while X is running. so, from my previous experience, i thought i could just do the ole' CTRL-ALT-Backspace. But noooooo, gnome + X just has to run. I can't seem to get this damn thing running! all i want is some 1680x1050 resolution and then hopefully get xgl working!!!

Any help please!?!
    Tried it - same problem, got free distro from linux mag fedora code 5 - installed it - no problems - no crashes - no freezes - suggest you do the same. Linux takes work and you have to try a number of distros. It's not like MS OS, all the distros have different qualities and some will work with your hardware and some won't.

I'll look back to see how you have got on

Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Maybe you need to check the ubuntu wiki or the ubuntu forums at their website, because there are multiple how-to's to do exactly what you want to do there. You can install the nvidia driver from the official repository, no need to download it from nvidia. There are also how-to's on how to install and run XGL.

And you don't need to log in as root, just run "sudo command" and provide your password when asked. That is just like being root.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    ok, so i followed those instructions, but it still gives me the same error. how do i friggen kill X!?!?!! GRUB doesn't seem to want to let me boot into a runlevel 3.

oh, and i tried getting that shiiat from the repositories and all it did was come back to me and say that it's no longer there... unless of course i did something completely retarded when dinking around with the repositories. so far though, ive just followed instructions exactly.

edit: right after i posted this, i went into the SynapticPM and for once actually found the "nvidia-glx" entry. I marked it for installation and then installed it. still nothing!!!! i rebooted gnome too, and yet it still seems to not be working. please help!

Just Joined!
    Ok, one more little victory for me, it seems i get one every 3 hours or so. :-/ I got the nvidia-glx **** running, and working. So now, how do I get options for high resolutions??? It still is only offering me 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480. do i need to edit one of the X config files? this 1024 is making me feel like a fat man in a telephone booth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caustik_bt
    Ok, one more little victory for me, it seems i get one every 3 hours or so. :-/ I got the nvidia-glx **** running, and working. So now, how do I get options for high resolutions??? It still is only offering me 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480. do i need to edit one of the X config files?
    Bingo. You answered your own question. Look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file toward the bottom. You'll see a section called "Display" with a list of resolutions. The first one is your preferred resolution, and X will try each one in order from left to right. Just add the resolution you want at the front of the list, restart X and you should see the proper resolution.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thank you oh so much!!! It's perfect now!

Now to wander off into the land of XGL... wish me luck!