Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have used Linux (Fedora, SUSE, Gentoo) for over three years now, and this is the first time I have used a Debian distro. I have many installers (src ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Installation through source

Hi

I have used Linux (Fedora, SUSE, Gentoo) for over three years now, and this is the first time I have used a Debian distro. I have many installers (src /tar.gz) available with me. Are they of any use here? Because when I type ./configure I get the error gcc found....no (etc.), although I have gcc installed. Please help me.

Thanks in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Linux Engineer
    are you trying to install a prog that doesn't need ./configure...not all programs install in the same manner, consult the readme that should be included in the untarred folder.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Are you sure you have gcc installed? It seems likely that you don't or it is not in your path if the ./configure script can't find it?

apt-get install gcc-3.3.5-3

this is the latest stable release of gcc according to: debian on a package search

EDIT: you might not need the -3 release candidate version, I'm not sure, not currently using debian.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL