Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I say newbie, I really do mean it. I have successfully installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake, but I'm having a major problem trying to connect to the internet with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help a complete linux newbie....please!

When I say newbie, I really do mean it. I have successfully installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake, but I'm having a major problem trying to connect to the internet with it.

I have a BT Voyager 105 USB modem, and my ISP is Plusnet. I have searched for info on how to install this, but everything I read assumes at least some experience with Linux - I have none.

Could anyone hold my hand though this please? I'm no idiot, but no computer programmer either!

Any help is very much apprciated.

can you post what you have tried or the links to those sites they tell you how to?

for example have you looked at this thread
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/per...modem-usb.html
    take a look at the second post in that thread. Try what it says to do, and the post back your results
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

or you could go to this site and follow their instructions, but a better thing would be to buy a proper modem/router and a network card and throw the voyager rubbish away

USB is a lousy network protocol, slower and less reliable than ethernet
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Try this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemH...ht=%28modem%29

it's lengthy, but seems to be thorough and step by step

Cheers guys, plenty for me to try there. As always, I'm doing this as time allows, so I'll let you know how I get on when I can!

I did do a bit of digging around elsewhere, and popular opinion seems to be that this usb modem is rubbish. As towy71 says, a proper modem/router and a network card might be a better & easier oprion for me. Anyone have any buying tips for these - UK based?

Quote Originally Posted by seymour
    Cheers guys, plenty for me to try there. As always, I'm doing this as time allows, so I'll let you know how I get on when I can!

I did do a bit of digging around elsewhere, and popular opinion seems to be that this usb modem is rubbish. As towy71 says, a proper modem/router and a network card might be a better & easier oprion for me. Anyone have any buying tips for these - UK based?
    You could look at ebuyer.com and look for "quickfind code: 90977" do read the customer reviews though
    Linux user #185360

Cheers for that mate, I do think I'm going to go for this. I presume I'll also need a etheret card for my pc? Something like: Ebyer quickfind code 42061?

I'm guessing also that I'd need a suitable cable from this card to the router, would this one be ok: 88058

quickfind:104381 will be fine for an ethernet card and the cable is any rj45 cable but the modem/router might have a one metre cable with it.
    Linux user #185360

Cheers mate, I've now ordered this little lot, I'll try again when it arrives.

IO3

?

If you have modem (cable or DSL) connect the ethernet wires directly
    to the LAN card. If you have a network adapter some might work even
    the power for it isn't working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast