Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am a total nub when it comes to Linux, this is only the second version Ive ever used, Im talking about Ubuntu 5.1 Breezy Badger (Personally I think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Breezy Badger, ARGH!

Hi I am a total nub when it comes to Linux, this is only the second version Ive ever used, Im talking about Ubuntu 5.1 Breezy Badger (Personally I think it Beaver sounds better :P) but anyway, I install it and everything goes fine, come to the login screen put in my details and it accepts it, and comes to a gold coloured screen, nothing else just gold. Aaaaaaaaand then nothing. I dunno why , I dunno how, so I say to myself, well seeing as Im using a 64 bit machine, Ill use the 64 bit Discs, so I install them and the same thing happens. So I took the HDD out and whacked her into another machine, and the same thing still, so I dont think its my components, am I doing something wrong? also it never asked me to give it a root password in the installation. Should it? cos it asks you for a Admin password in Windows. Anyway any help wouold be appreciated, plzKthx.

Silent_Cheeseburger

Just Joined!
    Well it is completely normal for Ubuntu not to ask you for an admin password during installation. Ubuntu uses individual user accounts and privileges to do administrative activities, so an admin password is not necessary.

In regards to the login not working, that seems very strange. I can't think of ANY logical reason why that would be the case. Perhaps you have a RAM problem, in which case i suggest you test by using memtest (an option in the grub menu at startup).

The reason it could be RAM is that in RAM problems odd errors occur usually in the same place for seemingly absolutely NO logical reason.

If the memory test says your RAM is all fine, then perhaps try the latest version of Ubuntu (6.06). They have much better hardware support, as well as more features and an updated version of GNOME (the desktop you see when you login that doesn't seem to work).

The new release is 8 months of more work on the Ubuntu front, and may have solved the problem you are experiencing.

So post back how it all goes...

Sounds like a typical graphic card that got not set up properly instead of RAM problems. If you had faulty RAM, the system would not even boot.

What hardware specs does you computer have? You might have to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file manually. Otherwise try reconfiguring the display-settings package (don't know it's name - not an Ubuntu user).

Ubuntu is one of the very, very few distros that use sudo instead of a root account (a bad decision imho, also because of security reasons), thus every administrative task has to be launched with "sudo blablabla" from a terminal.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    :O help! WOW, I hafata compliment you on the site, its unusual to get help that fast without flammation on modern sites! cheers,

well, if it was a RAM problem, I dunno with Linux but with windows, it wont even start, so Ill give that idea the flick, with the graphics card... It is using an onboard VGA, VIA of course so I dont see any problem occuring with that, it has XP up and running fiiine, for about 3 months now. All right, another approach, how do you log in as root? do you have to start in some kind of safe mode, or is it something you enable after you log in using an administrative account? because every time I try to log on as root, I tells me worng password, even though it didnt ask me for one. Like I said in teh previous post, Ive tried it on another machine and the same thing happened, so I thought it was something I was doing not linux. er?

Just Joined!
    To log in as root, you first have to set the root password. If you can get a terminal up, type:
    Code:
    sudo passwd
    You first have to enter the password you set during installation. Then you enter the root password.
    Then to get a root terminal:
    Code:
    su
    Try pressing Alt-F2 if nothing is happening.

Just Joined!
    Oh ok, cool, yeah, its VERY different to windows, but Ive been reading about Linux, and I like it a lot more than windows, its got a way groovy interface, to open a console, you just press shift + F1 dont you? because I can open the console with my curent dilemna.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Cheeseburger
    Oh ok, cool, yeah, its VERY different to windows, but Ive been reading about Linux, and I like it a lot more than windows, its got a way groovy interface, to open a console, you just press shift + F1 dont you? because I can open the console with my curent dilemna.
    Do you mean you can't open the console?

Linux Newbie
    i think he is saying he likes the fact that you can use <ctrl><alt><F1> to open a console...not that he is having issues with doing so....

as far as the issue at hand...have you attempted to reconfigure xorg from a terminal window?

Follow THIS URL for instructions