Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi My problem is this, I work daily with Windows XP and although very proficient with this system I would like to cut the cord and make a switch to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Enabling multiple monitors/graphic cards in 6.06

Hi
    My problem is this, I work daily with Windows XP and although very proficient with this system I would like to cut the cord and make a switch to Ubuntu.
    I am very new to the linux world but would like to learn.
    In order for this to happen I will want to bring my 3 monitor spanned display from XP to Ubuntu. The hardware I picked is a 3.0 GHz P4 with about a gig of RAM.
    The output after initial OS install of lspci | grep VGA is:
    0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    0000:03:09.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
    0000:03:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

The Intel is onboard and the primary output in the BIOS. if lspci shows the nvidia cards, does this not mean they have been installed and should be ready to use?

A thread on the ubuntuforum explained about xinerama but that example plus a number of other ones have helped me little, my nvidia displays have not even blinked after installing Ubuntu.

I feel like I missed something very basic that everyone is assuming I already did.

I am sitting with a new install, havent done anything.

Any great guides out there I have managed to miss?

Thanks!

First you could install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers for your cards :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

As for dual/multiple monitors setup, there is a very good how-to here :
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors

But make sure you have a backup of the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf before experimenting :
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee