Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a Dell Dimension 4300 with an NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 graphics card and an internet connection through a Linksys WUSB11v4 peripheral wireless device with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy computer freezes and reboots at random

Hi,
    I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a Dell Dimension 4300 with an NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 graphics card and an internet connection through a Linksys WUSB11v4 peripheral wireless device with ndiswrapper-1.18. For some reason any time I'm doing a task involving a large file (several hundred MB) my computer either freezes or reboots midtask. Tasks that have caused this reaction have included copying large files from CD, downloading large media files using http, running update manager with a large number of updates, extracting files from a large multi-volume rar archive, and importing several GB of partial files into aMule. The last time my computer froze I tried pinging and ssh-ing from another computer on the local network, but both failed. Ping and ssh both work fine otherwise (I suppose it's obvious that ssh wouldn't work if ping doesn't). Any suggestions?

Did you take a look at the kernel log files, to see what the problem could be?
    Those file : /var/log/dmesg*, /var/log/kern.log*, /var/log/messages*, /var/log/syslog*

Take a quick look just to see if anything is wrong there.

Has this problem always been there? Did those kernel panics appeared after you installed anything new?

Which kernel are you using?
    Code:
    uname -a
    Quote Originally Posted by DatBugler
    an internet connection through a Linksys WUSB11v4 peripheral wireless device with ndiswrapper-1.18
    Are you sure? Latest NDISWRAPPER version is 1.17 :
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=93482
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah, I must have been confusing the ndiswrapper version with the package version, which is 1.8-0ubuntu2.

My kernel version is 2.6.15-25-386.

I've only been using Linux since last month so it's hard to say if a particular configuration change or addition triggered the problem. Also I'm not really sure what to look for in those files. This line in dmesg looked a bit dodgy to me:
    Code:
    [17179601.004000] ndiswrapper (IoCreateUnprotectedSymbolicLink:744): --UNIMPLEMENTED--
    I've attached dmesg. If you want the others I can post them too.
    Attached Files Attached Files