Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm completely new to the Linux world. I thought I would give Ubuntu a shot, and installed it on my computer. However during install it installed all of Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with partitions during install

Hello,

I'm completely new to the Linux world. I thought I would give Ubuntu a shot, and installed it on my computer. However during install it installed all of Ubuntu into a new partition I'm sure I didn't create, leaving me with 40mb free space.
    I already have 2 partitions, both approximatley 40 gig. One holds Windows, and I was trying to install Ubuntu on the other. That obviously didn't work, and as I don't know anything about Ubuntu I urgently need some help in joining the empty partition to the one Ubuntu is in, or something of the sort.

Linux Newbie
    try using the application "gparted"

Code:
    apt-get install gparted

Linux User
    Hi ralphiekabo,
    I would suggest you to boot with a Live CD and use partitioning tools like GParted or QtParted available in it to do the job. Go to following threads : -

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ight=partition

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...lp-please.html

With Regards,
    Thinker

a suggestion

Keep in mind I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu but have found out what works for me.
    I've installed Ubuntu a few times and have found if I have two partitions or two drives, I can just delete a partition from within Ubuntu's installation process and it then asks me if I want to prepare a partition for installation after doing so. It then prepares a small partition for the grub (I assume) and one for Ubuntu itself.
    Maybe someone can explain my experience in the proper jargon?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperone
    I've installed Ubuntu a few times and have found if I have two partitions or two drives, I can just delete a partition from within Ubuntu's installation process and it then asks me if I want to prepare a partition for installation after doing so. It then prepares a small partition for the grub (I assume) and one for Ubuntu itself.
    For clarification:
    The two partions that are created are
    Primary partion for the all all of Ubuntu files and your personal files
    SWAP partion (not sure what its funtion is but i believe it works like hard drive ram)

Most linux veterans recomend that you create a seperate partion for your /home directory. This is so that you can recover your data files if you need to do a system upgrade, migration to another version of linux or a distructive reinstall, among other reasons.

Linux User
    Hi dapperone,
    I suggested going for Live CD, because vidd was suggesting to install GParted and then use it, which is not a good way. Yes, you can do it while installing Ubuntu itself.

Hi ralphiekabo,
    If you are doubtful about how to partition for setting up a dual boot, search this forum itself or the web. There are many resources out there.

Hi vidd,
    Swap partition is that space where unused units of information which actually consume a lot of space in the memory is stored, until the next time they are used, so that the space taken by these information can be used for some other purpose.

Operating systems like Windows XP use a file in the filesystem itself for this purpose - pagefile.sys. If you want you can do the same thing for GNU/Linux also, but having a separate partition is always faster as it is isolated from the other regular file systems.

With Regards,
    Thinker

re: partitions

Ok, thanks for explaining that.

BTW, is it possible to partition 'on the fly' from within Ubuntu or a Linux app?

Linux User
    Hi dapperone,
    Ok, thanks for explaining that.

BTW, is it possible to partition 'on the fly' from within Ubuntu or a Linux app?
    Yes. But you have to unmount that partition and it is better if you do it by booting using another media.

With Regards,
    Thinker

IO3

My solution

Did you select "/" for the mount point in the partition
    you want Ubuntu installed. If this still doesn't work just get
    the live CD.

P.S. Get the free Ship It CDs they come with a live CD