Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I tried to load the Desktop version of Ubuntu 6.06 on a Proliant 3000 Server. After booting, the first Ubuntu screan I see is fragmented and messed up. Then it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X Window Fails To Load

I tried to load the Desktop version of Ubuntu 6.06 on a Proliant 3000 Server. After booting, the first Ubuntu screan I see is fragmented and messed up. Then it shows some clear white text. Then I see the Ubuntu logo clearly with an orange bar making its way (_slowly_) across the screen. Eventually I get a flashing cursor in the top left of my screen. And then a blue screen that says it failed to load the X window system. A load of white text forces the blue screen to scroll up before I can select 'yes' to "view the X server output to diagnose the problem".
    The white text is not properly aligned along the left of the screen but sort of strewn around. It leaves me with a ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ prompt.

What's wrong?

Best thing to do is to read the log in command-line mode.
    Code:
    cd /var/log
    ls X*
    This will let you see the logs that are in there. To read the logs use the less command , for example :-
    Code:
    less Xorg.0.log
    If you can post back some of the information from here we can see what happened. Have you tried using one of the boot cheat codes? Usually you can press F1 or F2 to get a list of cheatcodes, one should refer to VGA mode, or some preset resolutions that may work.

Just Joined!
    I alternated repeatedly between F1 and F2 during boot up. Now, at the stage where the graphics are corrupted ("fragmented and messed up"), pressing F1 and F2 appears to alter some window on the screen, but as a result of horizontal and vertical banding and patterns, I'm unable to decipher what they say. After clicking my arrow keys and pressing enter for a minute I decided to press escape and let loading continue.

Here is Xorg.0.log - It doesn't seem to give anything useful.

(==) Using config file: "etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
    (**) |-->Screen "Default Screeen" (0)
    (**) | |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    (**) | |-->Device "Cirrus Logic GD 5446"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
    (**) |-->Input Device "stylus"
    (**) |-->Input Device "cursor"

P.S. is there any easier way to copy a log over to my windows machine, 'cause typing it from one monitor to another is not so much fun.

Just Joined!
    You could put it on a floppy/USB stick, or transfer it over a network using an SFTP client such as WinSCP.

Could you post your entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? Also, please use code tags, it makes reading so much easier. Enclose your text in [ code ] and [ /code ] (without the spaces).

Just Joined!
    Should "cp /etc/X11/Xorg.log fda" command the computer to copy the log to floppy drive, because it doesn't seem to be doing it?

Just Joined!
    Try:
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/Xorg.log /floppy
    Or whereever the floppy is mounted. Make sure it is mounted.
    Code:
    mount
    It should show up in that list. Actually it doesn't show up in mine unless I manually mount it. So you may have to do this:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/fd0
    Of course, change fd0 to whatever your floppy drive is.

Just Joined!
    I tried to find out which device to mount;

ls /dev/f* gives output;

/dev/fb0 /dev/full
    /dev/fd: 0 1 2 3

But then sudo mount /dev/fd0 yeilds

mount:can't find /dev/fb0 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Why is it looking in etc? I never told it to do that...

Just Joined!
    When you try to mount a device without specifying a mount point, it looks in /etc/fstab for a relevant entry. Post your /etc/fstab, or try this:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/floppy
    sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    If that doesn't work, try fd1,fd2 and fd3. I would expect it to be fd0 though.

Just Joined!
    I get;
    mount: special device /dev/fd0 does not exist

and of course it's the same for 1, 2, 3.

Just Joined!
    Post the output from:
    Code:
    ls -al /dev/fd*
    Also, please post any code/output in code tags, it's much easier to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast