Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi... i am running ubuntu 6.06 (i think) and was just browsing the web and came across www.gnome-look.org so i thought i'd download a theme (Rezlooks-Orange 0.1) if that makes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Themes

hi... i am running ubuntu 6.06 (i think) and was just browsing the web and came across www.gnome-look.org so i thought i'd download a theme
    (Rezlooks-Orange 0.1) if that makes any difference it downloaded to my desktop extracted it and thats it nothing happened (the folder contained a text files with what looks like programing code, although not sure have only dabled in vb.) how do i get tht to be the theme for my desktop? do i need to download something else as well?

First of all, Gnome themes should not be extracted. Leave it as a .tar.gz

If it's a GTK or Metacity theme, go to System > Preferences > Themes and just drag and drop the .tar.gz to the Theme Manager window.

If it's a GDM theme, go to System > Administration > Login Screen Setup and click on Add Theme and find your .tar.gz

That worked perfectly thanks,
    however i have tryed to download shokewave player for firefox, it downloaded a file to my desktop but can do nothing with it, where do i drop and drag this one to or is it not that simple?

There is no Shockwave for Linux, unfortunately.

found macromedia

I found the *.gz for macromedia and downloaded it. Then navigated to the directory and installed by the command './macro', etc. Unless you're talking about something else. You can also search for it in Synaptic.

[update] I found the flash player download site at adobe. It says to download the tar.gz to Desktop. Unpack it (it creates a directory). The type: ./flashplayer-installer
    I did this but I still get web sites asking me to install flash. Not that I want it that badly.
    Here's the link: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...Platform=Linux

Shockwave player and Flash player are not the same thing.

If you want Flash player, though, just enable extra repositories and then
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree